Virtual Machine Snapshots

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Crazy8

Virtual Machine Snapshots

Post by Crazy8 »

I am new-ish to VirtualBox and I am having some issues, maybe it's just misunderstanding snapshots. I know what a snapshot is and the reasons for having one, but I'm not sure why I am experiencing what I am experiencing. I created a fresh Windows 7 VM (on a Windows 10 computer), all of the updates included and my needed software. I created a snapshot, but now I no longer see the original VM. Aren't I supposed to have the original VM and the snapshot(s) listed below the original? Am I going to have to start over and recreate the VM and snapshot(s) again, doing something different that I may have missed the first time around?

Thanks in advance for the help.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtual Machine Snapshots

Post by mpack »

I think a screenshot or two would explain your problem better.
Crazy8

Post by Crazy8 »

Not a problem. I'm at my FTJ right now so I will have to wait until I get home tonight. I will be sure to do that.
Crazy8

Post by Crazy8 »

Sorry it took so long to get back. As you can see in the attached images, It shows my VM as a snapshot and no longer as a normal VM. What happened?
Attachments
2.png
2.png (49.08 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
1.png
1.png (64.13 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ok, now I see the pictures but I don't see the problem. The pictures show the current state of the VM, plus it shows that two previous states have been preserved (both about an hour apart on 6th July). What are you expecting it to show that it doesn't?

Also, I'm kind of intrigued by a statement in the first post "I know what a snapshot is and the reasons for having one". Speaking as someone who avoids snapshots, I'm curious to know what you saw as good reasons for having a snapshot?
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

If you want to see the "normal" window instead of the snapshot information you have to click on the "Details" button on the top row.
Crazy8

Post by Crazy8 »

I guess what I am wondering is, why does the VM say the snapshot name (Elmer Snapshot 7/6 NEW), which is actually a second snapshot of the original VM? The first snapshot I made was titled "Elmer Snapshot 7/6". Shouldn't I just see something that says ONLY the name of the VM (Elmer)? Am I missing something here?
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I don't use snapshots but what you see is what I would expect to see. The vm is linked to the current snapshot. You would only see the root name listed there if there were no snapshots.
Bill