How do I block a USB device?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
RedHeart

How do I block a USB device?

Post by RedHeart »

I have been having a real problem with VirtualBox, and this problem appears to be independent of either host or VM.

I have a special USB mouse I use a lot - a high quality one ('gaming' quality although I don't do games). I do NOT have a filter for it... there used to be one but I deleted it in an attempt to prevent the USB mouse from showing up on the USB devices button at the base of the VM. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to block VB from putting that mouse in the list... usually the first item and vulnerable to my spastic muscles.

I have neurological issues that cause me to randomly click while moving the mouse - and sometimes I release the mouse button when I don't want to. What happens is when I right-click on the USB devices button under the VM, sometimes I (not controllable) release the right-click while it's on the USB mouse - which then locks up my system. I've learned that unplugging and then re-plugging the mouse will usually clear the problem - otherwise I have to physically shut off or manually reset my system - running Ubuntu 64 bit on a Dell quad processor with sufficient ram. That's a real pain (a couple of times unplugging the mouse didn't help).

Is there some way to FORCE VirtualBox to ignore the mouse under the USB button - not show it in the list? I work with a lot of USB equipment which requires selecting the individual ones for the task I'm doing - otherwise the device needs to be 'disconnected' through the USB button.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How do I block a USB device?

Post by socratis »

RedHeart wrote:Is there some way to FORCE VirtualBox to ignore the mouse under the USB button - not show it in the list?
Not that I know of.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RedHeart

Re: How do I block a USB device?

Post by RedHeart »

Well, the good news is that after updating Virtualbox, the task bar vanished and I had to use the Control-Home to bring up the menus that allowed me to select the device - and it's less sensitive to my mistake-clicks. Of course, that means having to do stuff a different way, but at least I'm not having as much trouble.

I'd rather have had the bar across the bottom like before instead of the pop-up menu, but then I'd have to be extra careful with the mouse. (If I could somehow force the mouse to show at a different place in the menu besides the bottom, that would also help to solve the problem.)

Thanks for the reply!