VMs on LAN : questions about speed and bandwidth

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
lolveley

VMs on LAN : questions about speed and bandwidth

Post by lolveley »

hello

I would like to get some advices on VM servers.
Indeed, instead of creating again and again the same VM in virtualbox, I am wondering if having a virtual machines server would not be better, but I have no experience on it.

For now, I have some computers (a laptop with windows 10, a mini-pc with debian 9) and openmediavault (a nas oriented debian distribution). In fact, I got the idea of a VM server thanks to the nas distrib : there is a virtualbox plugin, yet is is no more maintained and I was not able to run a VM from it.

I tried to enable display remote in virtualbox running on windows, and using remmina on the desktop on debian I was able to get the VM screen(a fedora installation). But it was very slow, and not adapted to a daily use. The desktop is connected to the LAN by ethernet but the laptop by wifi. I assume connecting it via ethernet should speed up the connection.

So I ask you some questions :
- should I use an ethernet wire for both computers? If so, will a enough good connection possible? Is it even thinkable to try to connect a VM server to the LAN and to get VMs available for an other computer in the network?
- What is the hardware/software to use for such a server? Is a real NAS required?
- do I need 1Gb/s broadband over power line wire of do 300Mb/S ones suffice?

thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VMs on LAN : questions about speed and bandwidth

Post by socratis »

You could always store and register your VMs on the server. See the "Moving a VM" FAQ for the details. Start with one VM, test the network speed if it's to your satisfaction/expectations.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.