Cannot Install Guest Additions (5.2.12 (r122591) (qt 5.6.2))

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Ballard

Cannot Install Guest Additions (5.2.12 (r122591) (qt 5.6.2))

Post by Ballard »

Okay - so I'm new to Virtualbox. I'm already humbled, since I'm having trouble with the simplest things. My main issue right now is that I can't find a way to copy files from my host hard disc, to my virtual systems. I've tried creating shares, to no avail.

I am aiming to have Virtual machines for WIndows 3.11, WIndows for Workgroups, WIndows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP. I actually have images for all of these, and as base OS's, they all run just fine. I just can't copy files to them.

Being new I quickly realized I needed the Extension Pack, and Guest Additions. I got both (Ext. Pack ver. 5.2.12.122591) and the Guest Additions (5.2.12). The Extension Pack installed without issue. Guest Additions refuses to install.

I get an error:
An Error occurred during installation.
Please refer to the log file under 'c:\Program Files\Oracle\Virtualbox Guest Additions\install_ui.log' for more information.
I check that folder, and no such log exists. The only log there is install_drivers.log. It reads:

Code: Select all

(1) 0 - ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 0 - Looking for Model Section [VBoxGuest.NTamd64]...
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_449015a0eb3dee2a\VBoxGuest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_449015a0eb3dee2a\VBoxGuest.inf'.
(1) 0 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0xE000020B)
(1) 0 - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf' (Plug and Play).
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_449015a0eb3dee2a\vboxguest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_449015a0eb3dee2a\vboxguest.inf'.
(1) 0 - No matching devices found in INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_449015a0eb3dee2a\vboxguest.inf" on the Machine.
(1) 0 - No drivers installed. No devices found that match driver(s) contained in 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\vboxguest.inf_amd64_neutral_449015a0eb3dee2a\vboxguest.inf'.
So I'm sad to say, I have two questions/issues. :(

1) Why won't Guest Additions install?
2) Once I get it installed, will Shares work in the OS's I've mentioned, or is there another way to copy files to them? I tired turning on Bi-directional copy and paste, but that doesn't work. And I have tried opening an OS in VirtualBox, and clicking on DEVICE - INSERT GUEST ADDITIONS CD IMAGE - but that does nothing (no pop ups, no indication anything has taken place.

I'm sure this is a rookie error, and I'm making a fool of myself, but you've sometimes got to hold up your hands an admit defeat.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by socratis on 16. Jun 2018, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
Ballard

Re: Cannot Install Guest Additions (5.2.12 (r122591) (qt 5.6.2))

Post by Ballard »

Sorry - I forgot to mention, host OS is Windows 7 64-bit.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Ballard wrote:Being new I quickly realized I needed the Extension Pack, and Guest Additions
That's a great start! ;)
Ballard wrote:Virtual machines for WIndows 3.11, WIndows for Workgroups, WIndows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP.
From your collection, only WinXP has Guest Additions (GAs) available. See ch. 4.2.1 Guest Additions for Windows of the User Manual.
Ballard wrote:clicking on DEVICE - INSERT GUEST ADDITIONS CD IMAGE - but that does nothing (no pop ups, no indication anything has taken place.
If you did that in a OS that supports "autoplay", you would have seen a prompt. Otherwise, look at the (virtual) CD drive of your VM, the GAs should be "inserted". You need to run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe" (on supported OSes only). From ch. 4.2.1.1 Installation of the User Manual:
In the “Devices” menu in the virtual machine’s menu bar, VirtualBox has a handy menu item named “Insert Guest Additions CD image”, which mounts the Guest Additions ISO file inside your virtual machine. A Windows guest should then automatically start the Guest Additions installer, which installs the Guest Additions into your Windows guest. Other guest operating systems (or if automatic start of software on CD is disabled) need manual start of the installer.
Ballard wrote: I've tried creating shares, to no avail.
You've tried to create VirtualBox Shared Folders. How about if you tried to create standard Windows networking shares, like you would do if you had two computer on your LAN? Mind you, it's not going to be easy for anything less than WinXP to transfer files, generally speaking.
Ballard wrote:The only log there is install_drivers.log. It reads:
Where is that log from? Which guest? What program did you try to run in the guest?
Ballard wrote:I tired turning on Bi-directional copy and paste, but that doesn't work.
Mind you that Copy/Paste works only for plain, unformatted text, like the one you see in Notepad for example...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ballard

Post by Ballard »

Thank you for the prompt response.

I'm going to have to drag a lot of old knowledge up from my memory banks, it seems. WIndows 3.1 didn't really do networking - my old DOS knowledge ought to help get a driver installed though...... I think.....

Windows for Workgroups ought to be a different deal. Slightly easier. Windows 95 and Windows 98 ought to work once I get to them.

Come to think of it, Windows 3.1 isn't seeing the CD drive either, clearly because you need old DOS drivers. I'm not sure how I can install anything though without being able to copy some files to the Virtual Machine. I guess the place to start is to try and get some network and CD drivers going in DOS. Those were the days!

By the way, the log file was in the "VirtualBox Guest Additions" folder......

Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Ballard wrote:By the way, the log file was in the "VirtualBox Guest Additions" folder......
When run on what guest?

BTW, you can find several tutorials in the Howtos and Tutorials » Windows Guests section...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ballard

Post by Ballard »

I just wanted to return to comment on substantial progress.

Most of my issues were due to lack of knowledge, but after working with Windows 3.1 for a few hours all the old nonsense came back to me. For example, if you install a bad video driver and Windows 3.1 refuses to start, you can fix it by simply editing the SYSTEM.INI file in the windows directory by editing the display.drv='s section to display.drv=VGA.drv. I'd forgotten how easy it was to work directly with INI files after years of having the registry.

My current state of play is that Windows 3.1 is working ay 1024X768, with 256 colors. Soundblaster 16 is installed and works. Copying files to and from the image works with sharing on Floppy or CD. Yes, it now "see's" the CD too.

My main reason to do all this was to play a game - Bad Mojo. Bad Mojo does not at this time work. I'm going to play around and see if I can figure that out. However, through perseverance, I've overcome my initial frustrations. I can't believe how much arcane knowledge is still stuck inside my head. LOL
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ballard wrote: I can't believe how much arcane knowledge is still stuck inside my head.
Well, hopefully you intend to stick around these forums because arcane knowledge will always finds an outlet here!

That most definitely includes teaching newbies that they can't travel back in time 30 years and still expect the same capabilities and the level of hand holding of a modern OS.