[Solved] I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ben71

[Solved] I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests

Post by ben71 »

Hello :-)

After reading the topic on top of this forum, I still can not run 64 bits guests. I have even deactivated the "device guard".
OS = Windows 10 Pro ‎(X64)‎ 1803
Motherboard = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. AX370-Gaming K5-CF with bios rev. F2
Processor = AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Virtualbox = Version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.2)

Using the AMD check utility I am sure that virtualization is enabled in the BIOS (I checked before/after just to be sure).

Nevertheless, there are only 32 bits OS listed for new VM.
And I had a previous 64 bits VM installed (on Intel processor), it will no longer start with error "AMD-V is not available (VERR_SVM_NO_SVM)"

HyperV is working nicely, but it was not the cause of the problem as I just installed it to see if it would work, but the problem was there even before it was activated.

Many thanks for you help, I do not know what I could do more ...
Last edited by socratis on 10. Jun 2018, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests

Post by andyp73 »

We will need to see the VBox.log file from a guest to see if it tells us what is holding onto VT-X/AMD-V. Create a 32bit guest, start it, when it gets to the unable to find bootable media message power the guest off. zip the VBox.log file and post it.

For recent versions of Windows 10, just disabling Hyper-V in Windows Features isn't enough there are also some commands that need running - a search of the forum should find them for you. The latest version of Windows 10 also tries to put Edge into a container which invokes Hyper-V without you noticing. Some anti-virus also use virtualisation and don't play nicely with VirtualBox. You are going to have to look at what is installed on your system to see what it might be.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
ben71

Post by ben71 »

Thank you for your reply

First thing, after it was unable to boot I got an error saying "Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V. (VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT)."
(I have previously used the command-line command to disable Hyper-V and powered down the PC)

Please find the enclosed log file

Benoit
Attachments
VBox.zip
(17.95 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Something is activating and utilizing your Hyper-V. Unfortunately, we can't tell what that something is. You got to do some research, the FAQ has some pointers...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ben71

Post by ben71 »

Ok I understand thank you for your reply

I read the 64 bits FAQ and made a search on the forum on "hyper-V", could you please give me some hints on what I should look for ? Or is there any utility (like a process explorer) that could help ?

I must confess I do not really know where to start ;-)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ben71 wrote:I must confess I do not really know where to start
Neither do the rest of us! That's the problem! Microsoft (and others) are coming up with new ways of using Hyper-V, that it's not a joke anymore, it's really bad. And we have no clue where to start searching...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ben71

Post by ben71 »

Hello

I found the solution for my PC, hope this can help.

In the Security Center (Windows Defender), in "Core Isolation", the "Memory Integrity" was enabled. Disabling it restored Virtualbox 64 bit capabilities :D :D :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback!
I guess the FAQ has to get update (yet again) to include the new MS tricks...
Marking as [Solved].
User17745

Re: [Solved] I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests

Post by User17745 »

I recently faced the same problem and it took me days from resetting, re-configuring and re-flashing BIOS, changing setting in antivirus, Windows Defender and Widows itself to finally resolving it today so I'm gonna post this on the forums where I found some helpful info in the hopes that other will benefit from it.

If you are facing this issue then here are a few thing that might help you:
1. Enable Virtualization technology in the motherboard BIOS.
These setting may be are labeled differently for different motherboard so check the manual for your motherboard. On AMD Ryzen chipsets (the one I am using), it's called "SVM mode" under Advanced CPU features. Overall there may be one or two such settings that you need to change. If it still doesn't work then make sure you are on the latest version of BIOS.

2. Go to "Turn Windows Features On/Off" (you can just search for it in the start menu) and disable these two:
- Hyper-V
- Windows Hypervisor Platform.
You'll need to restart the PC once you do so.

......and it should be working now. All the 64-bit OS versions should now be available in VirtualBox.