how to add a 2nd virtual hard disk ?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
pixpix

how to add a 2nd virtual hard disk ?

Post by pixpix »

Hello
I am on windows 7 and use Virt.Box (last version) to emulate DOS 6.22 or Windows 3.11
I do not know how to add a 2nd virtual hard disk.
Is there anyone who could help me ?
and thank you in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: how to add a 2nd virtual hard disk ?

Post by socratis »

Go to the VM settings » Storage. Select your hard disk controller icon on the left (IDE, SATA, etc). There are two icons with a plus ("+") sign, one with a hard disk, one with a CD. Click on the one with the HD. You will be asked if you want to choose an existing one or create a new one...

Can I ask why you'd want to add a 2nd HD on a DOS or Win3.11 VM?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pixpix

Post by pixpix »

Hi
i want to add a "hard drive" because i tried to add a CD ROM drive but failed.
i have some software that i want to copy on the virtual machine i installed.
exple : i want to copy files to the c: drive in the virtual machine.
i have already made an ISO file with NERO where i put all the files i want to copy.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

There is something odd here. Why would you need an additional drive if you want to copy files to the C: drive? What is the drive letter for the existing system drive if it is not C:?
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

pixpix wrote:i want to add a "hard drive" because i tried to add a CD ROM drive but failed.
Neither DOS nor Win3.11 are plug and play. You'll have to add the driver (MSCDEX.SYS in CONFIG.SYS) before you can see a CD.
pixpix wrote:i have already made an ISO file with NERO where i put all the files i want to copy.
I don't see how putting the files in an ISO will help you. I hope you're not thinking of mounting the ISO as a second HD...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.