VB Host Adapter

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
tallmike67

VB Host Adapter

Post by tallmike67 »

New to Virtual Box:

Is the VB Host Adapter reachable from the physical network (or can it be configured to be) for monitoring or remote access?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VB Host Adapter

Post by mpack »

The host-only adapter is not connected to the physical world. That's what it's called host only.

I think you need to be looking at bridged networking, which is very similar except that it's also connected to the physical network, and the DHCP is the one from the physical network.
tallmike67

Post by tallmike67 »

Hi mpack, thanks. I get the host-only, bridged, nat, etc.. I was looking at installation instructions and during the install of Virtual Box it asks for a Host Adapter IP address. What is the purpose of that IP address? I guess that was the intent of my question.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

tallmike67 wrote:during the install of Virtual Box it asks for a Host Adapter IP address.
No it doesn't. Not VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

If you are worried about the host only adapter, do not install one. When you install VirtualBox you are offered the option to not install some things, including the host only adapter. If you don't need on option, do not install it.

If you do install a host only adapter, it will be given an IP address.
Bill