Discuss the 5.2.12 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Discuss the 5.2.12 release

Post by michael »

Discuss the 5.2.12 release here.
You can download the release here.
Mainly a regression-fix release for 5.2.10.
The Raven

Re: Discuss the 5.2.12 release

Post by The Raven »

As reported in the 5.2.10 thread, the following error occurs with 5.2.12.
This problem did not occur in 5.2.8 and below.

kernel: [ 306.296314] AssertLogRel /home/vbox/vbox-5.2.10/src/VBox/VMM/VMMAll/PGMAllPhys.cpp(2345) VBOXSTRICTRC pgmPhysReadHandler(PVM, PPGMPAGE, RTGCPHYS, void*, size_t, PGMACCESSORIGIN): PGM_HANDLER_PHYS_IS_VALID_STATUS(rcStrict, false)
kernel: [ 306.296317] rcStrict=2624 GCPhys=00000000f0804030

Each time a virtual machine is started the messages are repeated approx. 480 times, so the kernel log is filled with almost 1000 messages.
On an I5 4th generation quad core machine it takes 5 seconds to complete writing all the messages.

The messages only appear when the virtual machine is started - once running no more appear and guest operation seems unaffected.
It happens for both my Windows 7 guest and all my debian based guests.

Host is running Debian 9 (stretch) with the 4.16.5 kernel.

Bugtracker ticket now opened
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17759
Last edited by The Raven on 12. May 2018, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@The Raven
The "Discuss the A.B.c release" threads are reserved for discussing issues that are either new or a regression, not to regurgitate existing issues. Otherwise such a discussion would turn into a "Issues do we have open as of A.B.C release", and that's call the BugTracker. Please refrain from something like that in the future...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Is this error on all hosts, or only on one host?

A VM log would be useful too.
6pac

Post by 6pac »

I upgraded direct from 5.2.6 to 5.2.12. Since then, I'm having a really weird issue with shared folders. I paste a folder structure to the shared folder and it creates the first folder in the tree and then stops. So I can create empty folders one at a time, and paste multiple files, but not paste a folder structure.
This was working just fine before I upgraded.

Running on OSX Sierra host. This is a Windows 10 VM accessing a shared folder which is an NTFS partition on the main drive (I have Paragon NTFS drivers for OSX which give me read/write capability).
I have
- installed the updated client tools
- disconnected and reconnected the drive in Windows
- removed and replaced the shared folder in Settings
- deleted the entire VM entry and recreated from scratch
- rebooted the VM and host many times

Nothing has helped. I also have various other Windows VMs and I note Windows 7 is not displaying the same problem.

I'll give it a day or so, then I'm going back to 5.2.6.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

6pac wrote:I also have various other Windows VMs and I note Windows 7 is not displaying the same problem.
We're going to need a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Gather the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the error, i.e. try to copy a folder structure or two.
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
6pac

Post by 6pac »

Here's the log. There is no error message, the folder tree copy just fails silently after creating the first folder it comes to.

After I captured this, I reloaded 5.2.6, due to another bug which was not restoring mouse and keyboard after sleep. This has happened three times since the update now, and I have no option other then to force power down the mac. I can tell the OS is fine, because it brings up a dialog asking me if I want to shut down (but I have no way of interacting with it).
Sorry, but this is my main work computer and I've already had to run OS repair on Windows 10 as a result of this.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(26.84 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
6pac

Post by 6pac »

OK, so I'm back on 5.2.6 and the folder problem is still there. Please put a hold on this while I work out what's going on. Hopefully the keyboard issue is gone now though!