Fatal could not read from the boot medium system halted

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
PeterSamuel1

Fatal could not read from the boot medium system halted

Post by PeterSamuel1 »

Hi guys! I have question. I am struggling, cause don't know how to fix it. I wanted to change my Virtual Machine password, I have changed it and it was already in encryption process and my computer turned off. Right now when I am turning on Virtual Machine, turning on Windows 10, entering password, it shows me that error "Fatal could not read from the boot medium system halted". What should I do?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Fatal could not read from the boot medium system halted

Post by socratis »

Build a new VM, delete the existing one. Your data is gone. Restore from backup.
Sorry, there's no recovery. If there was, that would defeat the purpose.

PS. I deleted your duplicate post from the "Windows Hosts" section. According to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PeterSamuel1

Post by PeterSamuel1 »

So there is no chance to restore all information from that VM?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Not unless you have a backup (of the entire VM, not just one file). If there was a way to recover data from an encrypted drive without the correct password then the encryption would be worthless.
PeterSamuel1

Post by PeterSamuel1 »

How I can check if I have backup for VM or not? I haven't created it, someone else did it. So I have no clue how to check it...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No. That's the idea of the encryption, isn't it? Unless you know the password, no data can be recovered. If the process stopped in the middle of encrypting (you were *really* unlucky, no? hmm...), you should have kept a backup until you were 120% sure that your encryption was working as intended.

For example, how do I even know that you're the owner of that VM, and you're not just trying to break-in the VM? And, no, you can't prove, or disprove that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PeterSamuel1

Post by PeterSamuel1 »

I know password. In that VM information is very important. How I can restore all information from that VM?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

YOU CAN'T!!!

If you know the password and it's not accepted, the VM has been corrupted. Game Over.
PeterSamuel1

Post by PeterSamuel1 »

VM accepts password. But after that it shows me that FATAL error.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That means that it's corrupted.
But to be 100% sure, right-click on the VM. "Show in <whatever>". ZIP that .vbox file and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

PeterSamuel1 wrote:In that VM information is very important.
If the information is that important, and you don't have a backup... you're not doing it right. Nothing can save you from your mistakes, I'm sorry...
PeterSamuel1

Post by PeterSamuel1 »

If you can help me, give me your contacts, like skype or something else. I can pay for it in advance, thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You seem to have a mental block or something.
You shot your VM.
You killed your VM.
Not even all the money in the world can save you.

Do you understand that?
PeterSamuel1

Post by PeterSamuel1 »

Your words "Unless you know the password, no data can be recovered." I know password and it works. So it means data can be recovered or not?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Can you please attach the ZIPPED .vbox file for the VM? I've asked it 3 messages back...