Accessing DVD drive on Windows 10 machine

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
albert01

Accessing DVD drive on Windows 10 machine

Post by albert01 »

I have Virtual 5.2.8 installed on Windows 10 SSD drive.

I created a Windows XP virtual box from MS's WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe, by renaming a file to VirtualXP.VHD.

Under settings > storage I see VBoxguestadditions.iso > and have checked "Live CD/DVD"

However I'm not able to find my Windows 10 DVD drive, of which I need to install an automotive manual that won't install under Windows 10.

I tried to copy the CD installation files to a path on my Windows 10 C:\ drive however when I try to add the path as a shared folder from "settings" I receive an error message "Failed to save settings"
The machine is not mutable or running (state is Saved).
Result Code: VBOX_E_INVALID_VM_STATE (0x80BB0002)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

Failed to save the settings of the virtual machine XPVB to C:\Users\William C Schade\VirtualBox VMs\XPVB\XPVB.vbox.
Last edited by socratis on 24. Apr 2018, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Accessing DVD drive on Windows 10 machine

Post by socratis »

albert01 wrote:The machine is not mutable or running (state is Saved).
Which part of this you don't understand. You cannot be changing some settings if the VM is not completely Shut down from within the guest. You can't be having the machine running. You can't be having the machine in a Saved state. Only powered down.
albert01 wrote:However I'm not able to find my Windows 10 DVD drive
Try the following:
[attachment=0]HostCD.png[/attachment]
Attachments
HostCD.png
HostCD.png (52.08 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
albert01

Re: Accessing DVD drive on Windows 10 machine

Post by albert01 »

Ok, I see I discarded the saved state and now have other selections from settings.

I'm trying to install an older Ford Manual from 1993. After creating an ISO file I was able to include it with the VM as a CD drive and run the Ford Manual installation which installed the Ford manual by creating a data folder on the VM. However when I try to run the Ford application from the VM it keeps prompting me for a CD and won't run without the Ford CD inserted.

For some reason the Ford Manual app won't recognize the virtual CD (iso) drive.

Will keep trying. I haven't yet been able to integrate the Windows 10 CD/DVD drive into the VM.