Does method/conversion exist during VBox setup with/using VBox GUI to VBoxManage CLI commands?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
_nobody_

Does method/conversion exist during VBox setup with/using VBox GUI to VBoxManage CLI commands?

Post by _nobody_ »

Hello to VBox community,

I am wondering... Does method exist to convert anything done during VBox setup with/using VBox GUI to VBoxManage CLI commands? :idea:

This will be very useful feature. Anybody to discuss (looking for the VBox administrators, who can pass this idea and convince VBox R&D to implement such a feature, if this one already does NOT exist)? :mrgreen:

Thank you,
_nobody_
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Does method/conversion exist during VBox setup with/using VBox GUI to VBoxManage CLI commands?

Post by socratis »

Everything (and more) that can be done with the VirtualBox Manager, can be performed with the "VBoxManage" CLI. And actually there are things that cannot be performed with the VirtualBox Manager, but have to be performed with VBoxManage.

So, yeah, that is already here. It's always been here.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
_nobody_

Re: Does method/conversion exist during VBox setup with/using VBox GUI to VBoxManage CLI commands?

Post by _nobody_ »

This, what you wrote, socratis politicalis, I know. I have more and less complete CLI script which sets VBox. So, I can invoke virtualbox& and exam everything written in CLI using VBox GUI.

The question is the opposite/vice versa: can I, having set everything in GUI, press ONLY one button, and generate equivalent VboxManage CLI script? :mrgreen:

_nobody_
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

Reads like one of those Parallels 'enhancements' - coddling the user to sleep
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

So, you want to set a VM in the GUI, and press a button and generate a series of "VBoxManage" commands that when run from the CLI would give you the exact same result?

No.

You can't be a CLI person and eat your cake... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
_nobody_

Post by _nobody_ »

socratis wrote:So, you want to set a VM in the GUI, and press a button and generate a series of "VBoxManage" commands that when run from the CLI would give you the exact same result?

No.
Do not buy your arguments. Wrong answer, very incorrect... But, anyway, I wanted to have really useful feature which will promote Virtual Box to leading hypervisor. If you start thinking very in-deep, you'll (maybe) understand. :mrgreen:

_nobody_