Discuss the 5.2.10 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Discuss the 5.2.10 release

Post by socratis »

Just FYI:
The Windows 5.2.10 build is out.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ingo2
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: OS/2, WinXP-10, Linux

Post by ingo2 »

Please be so fair and let the Linux-Users also participate in a stable release where some annoying bugs are fixed:

Windows version 5.2.10 is "Build 122 406"
Linux version of 5.2.10 is "Build 122 088"

Currently Linux users have to use a Testbuild (build 122 401) instead of using the distribution's package manager.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ingo2 wrote:Currently Linux users have to use a Testbuild (build 122 401) instead of using the distribution's package manager.
Yes. Until the next minor release, 5.2.12.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WFV
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ArchLinux; Fedora; Ubuntu; Win7pro64; WinXP

Post by WFV »

I've noticed the same errors. Was away for several weeks, then did major update and see these same errors on first reboot after kernel and vbox updates (vbox specific to Distro) but a second reboot it runs normal without the errors. I didn't check to see if they impeded any VBox functions but the errors were filling the journal really quick.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@WFV
I really don't have a clue what errors you refer to. You got to be more specific. Oh, and BTW:

VirtualBox 5.2.12 released.

Discuss the 5.2.12 release.
WFV
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ArchLinux; Fedora; Ubuntu; Win7pro64; WinXP

Post by WFV »

@ socratis
Referring to bug #17759. There is an error how VirtualBox handles HDA (present in 5.2.10 and 12), but will be corrected in 5.2.14. In the host journal will report repeated of lines of error messages when the guest is running if the guest Audio Controller is set to "Intel HD Audio". Switching to "ICH AC97" removes the error however, may result in choppy audio in the guest. For example, a guest with Intel HD Audio resulted in nearly 200,000 lines of repeated error message when running for only about 20 minutes. Error messages:

Code: Select all

kernel: HDA: Disabled DMA position buffer
kernel: HDA: Enabled DMA position buffer
then the following repeat until the guest is closed:

kernel: AssertLogRel /build/virtualbox/src/VirtualBox-5.2.12/src/VBox/VMM/VMMAll/PGMAllPhys.cpp(2345) VBOXSTRICTRC pgmPhysReadHandler(PVM, PPGMPAGE, RTGCPHYS, void*, size_t, PGMACCESSORIGIN): PGM_HANDLER_PHYS_IS_VALID_STATUS(rcStrict, false)
kernel: rcStrict=2624 GCPhys=00000000f0804030
and ends with

kernel: HDA: Disabled DMA position buffer
Last edited by socratis on 2. Jun 2018, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

WFV wrote:but will be corrected in 5.2.14
I saw the comment by 'bird' on ticket #17759, as well as changeset 72320 that fixed the issue.

The "problem" is that the fix was introduced on 2018-05-24 12:47 and the latest test builds, r122773, have a date/time stamp of about 40 minutes later. at 13:27, some maybe even before that. So, I don't think that the 5.2.13 r122773 contains the fix, otherwise I'd tell you to try it out. But the next test build will have it 99.9%... ;)