[WorksForMe] WinXP will not start anymore

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
boxino

[WorksForMe] WinXP will not start anymore

Post by boxino »

I reinstalled the operating system, ubuntu mate, but immediately after the virtual machines with WinXP 32bit they stopped working.
I tried to copy a machine from another computer and try it on my pc but it does not work. I also tried to install XP from scratch but it no longer recognizes the disks. 5.1.34 was installed then I also tried with 5.1.32 but nothing has changed.
Attach log.
Attachments
XP.log.zip
XP Log
(24.82 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by socratis on 17. May 2018, 13:43, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
boxino

Re: WinXP will not start anymore

Post by boxino »

The problem is the virtualized disk controller. I used SATA and it did not work while under IDE, at the moment it works. Probable some VM changes that XP does not handle correctly.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [WorksForMe] WinXP will not start anymore

Post by socratis »

boxino wrote:I used SATA and it did not work while under IDE, at the moment it works.
The proposed templates are there for a reason. That reason? It works. If you start changing the "recipe" of the VM, you'd better know what you're doing. You can't change the sound card to SoundBlaster and expect it to work without some special treatment.

Stick with the defaults next time please. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [WorksForMe] WinXP will not start anymore

Post by socratis »

Topic locked to prevent further vandalism from user 'boxino'.
Personal comment moved to "Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.