Cannot mount Guest Additions CD (VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
sprinter7

Re: Cannot mount Guest Additions CD (VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND)

Post by sprinter7 »

@socratis
Thank you very much. After reading your post I create new VM Windows 7 x86 with only one snapshot. The error and the last message from version 5.2.10 were reprodused.
Can I send it to you?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Absolutely! The easier and more reproducible the case the better!!!

Fire away! :)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

@socratis
I can pack VM folder in .7z archive and put it in my cloud: full size is 5GB.
Will it be OK?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't want the whole VM!!! I just want the "recipe", the '.vbox' file. That should be more than enough to recreate the scenario. And it will tell me if there's something with VirtualBox, or something really deep inside your guest's OS.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

Windows 7 x86 .vbox
Scenario:
1. Install guest OS. Shut down guest OS.
2. Snapshot 1
3. Start guest OS. Try to mount GA - error message. Shut down guest OS.
Attachments
Win7vbox.zip
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I quickly tried to replicate your setup, almost...
I have a VM with one snapshot exactly, just like yours. I didn't do anything fancy, I simply compared the .vbox files and transferred your settings into mine, so we're on the same page. The main differences:
  1. My host is an OSX 10.11.6.
  2. The Win7 installation was from an ISO, not from the host's actual CD with passthrough enabled.
Didn't crash. Next step is to create a new VM, install it exactly as you did (yes, I have a Win7 CD) and follow exactly your steps.

Next-next step (if the one above "works"), is to try it on my Win7 host. That's a 12-year old system, but it still "works". It's going to be slow as molasses in the winter, but it will do it, even if I have to wait for 24 hours (just kidding).

Another way (while I'm doing this) is to actually post somewhere public your whole VM, all 5 GB of it. That's a big one, but at least we're going to have a second reference point. So, can you compress and post your whole VM directory? As is when it crashes!

If you can't find a site that you can upload something that big, try to break it down with RAR or similar. And if you don't want to send the links in the forums (public), you can always send me a personal message (PM).

Thanks! I'm sure we'll get down to the bottom of this... ;)
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

@socratis
I created new VM with guest OS Windows XP x86 in 5.2.10. Scenario is the same as in my new VM with Windows 7 x86.
Default interface in WinXP is IDE, instead of SATA in Win7. So WinXP VM was created with IDE.
Passthrough in ON. No any errors while mounting and using GA.

After some time...
I take my notebook with host OS Windows 7 x64 (fresh install).
Install VirtualBox 5.2.10 (Passthrough in on) and guest OS Windows 7 x86 - error.
Install VirtualBox 5.1.36 over it - NO error.
Install VirtualBox 5.2.0 over it - error.
Regression is from 5.2.0
Unable to insert the virtual optical disk C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine Windows 7.

Could not mount the media/drive 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Callee: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
Last quote is from 5.2.0
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I finally got around to testing the VM that you sent me (Thank you!). No problems here. None at all!

I am running the latest 5.2.11 r122553. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. Can you try the latest test build? Maybe it was fixed?

Other than that, I have no clue what might be causing this, as I said, it runs fine here. Host: OSX 10.11.6.
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

@socratis
The same problem in 5.2.12
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. Everything I tried was working over here.

The one thing I didn't try is that old 12-year old PC of mine, and that's because it suffered a "heart attack" (of sorts). I've disassembled it and trying to piece it back together... :?
vertigo220

Post by vertigo220 »

I just had this same exact issue, also on 5.2.8, which seems like an unlikely coincidence and tells me there's very likely a bug, especially since I was using it as I have been for years and have never had this issue before. I'm using a Windows 10 host and guest, it only has a single snapshot, and it was working fine just the other day. Today, it wouldn't (couldn't) access the shared folder, and the computer name under 'Network' was different and the folder was empty. After trying a few other things unsuccessfully, I figured I'd try reinstalling GAs, but I ran into the same exact problem as OP. Luckily, disabling passthrough worked for me as well, which allowed me to reinstall the GAs and get it working again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@vertigo220
Reboot your VM. Win10 has ... something that requires one (or two) reboots until the network folders show up. It happens on my real computer as well...
vertigo220

Post by vertigo220 »

Just ran into this problem (more or less) again. Tried mounting a virtual drive (Daemon Tools) and it failed:

Code: Select all

Unable to insert the virtual optical disk Host Drive 'J:' into the machine Win10.

Could not mount the media/drive 'J:' (VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND).

I ended up adding another optical drive with passthrough disabled, which works. Still, it would be ideal if passthrough didn't break it, preventing virtual drives from being mounted. It's not a huge deal to add a second drive, but it's rather annoying, and it took a bit to figure out to do it (and would have taken much longer had I not already been here before). I did reboot the VM twice to see if it would fix the problem, which it didn't. Not entirely sure if this is the same issue, but it's the same error AFAICT and involves passthrough, so I figured it should go here.
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

@socratis
The problem, I described, still exist in 5.2.20 and 6.0.0 beta1.
I find, imho, how to reproduce this problem. Only if the host has a physical optical drive! I disconnect physical optical drive (disconnect SATA cable) - no problem.
Guest Additions CD will be mounted with the letter of first optical drive (physical optical drive), and if Passthrough is on, in running virtual machine:
Devices - Insert Guest Additions CD image...
Unable to insert the virtual optical disk C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine Windows 7 x64.

Could not mount the media/drive 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND).