Cannot mount Guest Additions CD (VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
sprinter7

Cannot mount Guest Additions CD (VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND)

Post by sprinter7 »

After upgrading from 5.1.30 to 5.2.8 unable to mount Virtualbox Guest Additions in new virtual machines with guest OS Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 - they were all created in 5.2.8.
The only old virtual machine created in 5.1.30 (with guest OS Windows XP) - no any bugs.

Code: Select all

Unable to insert the virtual optical disk C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine Windows 7.

Could not mount the media/drive 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Callee: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
Last edited by socratis on 14. Mar 2018, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced attachment with actual text.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot mount Guest Additions CD (VERR_PDM_DRIVER_NOT_FOUND)

Post by socratis »

You must already have the GAs CD mounted in one of your VMs or your snapshots. You need to go to the Media Manager and find out who's got a hold on the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso.

The filename is one of the parameters that media are addressed in VirtualBox. But the most important is the UUID. Now, by upgrading the VirtualBox, you replaced the files in place, but their UUIDs have changed. And that's confusing. You should always eject the GAs CD after you're done with the installation of the GAs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

I reistalled 5.2.8. GAs CD can be mounted in host virtual drive. No snapshot with mounted GAs CD.
VBoxGuestAdditions.iso in Virtual Media Manager:
Attached to: Not Attached
UUID: db2b8ef4-ae82-4462-aa2b-14f2ab630141
Devices - Insert Guest Additions CD Image...
Error is the same (look at my previous post)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

sprinter7 wrote:VBoxGuestAdditions.iso in Virtual Media Manager: ...
Delete/Remove it from there.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

@socratis
Delete/Remove it from there.
Done. Error is the same.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. I split our discussion from the "Discuss the 5.2.8 release" thread. It was getting a life of its own. Hope you don't mind the title... ;)
  2. Start the VM from cold-boot, observe the error, shutdown the VM (from within the VM). Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
  3. Do the same for the ".vbox" file. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Explorer". ZIP it and attach it to your response as well.
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

I found how to avoid bug.
Settings-Storage-Optical Drive (Passthrough is set - bug, not set - no bug)
Is it a regression?
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

This regression is not solved in 5.2.10-122406 !
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid this is not a regression. This is not a VirtualBox problem, this is a problem with your configuration. You managed to "lock" the media somehow. Here's what you're going to have to do:
  1. Find each and every ".vbox" file for each and every VM in your system. Make a copy of each and every one of them in a new folder.
  2. Locate "C:\Users\<YourUsername>\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml". Copy it to the same folder as above.
  3. ZIP the contents of that folder. Attach the ZIPPED file to your response.
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

No such problem in "Windows XP.vbox" VM (IDE), there is a problem in "Windows 7 x64.vbox" VM (SATA).
Attachments
Files.zip
(18.18 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Just so that we know what I had to shift through... Sometimes I wonder how much abuse is too much.
v Snapshot 1. The virtual machine is configured, the disk is empty
  v Snapshot 2. Guest OS installed
    v Snapshot 3. The basic settings and activation are completed, the network drive is connected
      v Snapshot 4. Installed an update package from Internet Explorer 11
        v Snapshot 5. Installed updates from the network. Settings completed
          v Snapshot 6. Installed Add-ons
            v Snapshot 7. Installed programs 7-Zip, HashCheck, Piriform CCleaner, System Explorer
              v Snapshot 8. Installed browsers Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome
                v Snapshot 9. Copy image 8. For correct location of pictures
                  v Snapshot 10. Main photo for work. Installed programs and browsers. Updated on 04/29/2018
                      Current state.
                v Snapshot 13. Installed by GoodSync 9.9.23.3
                    Snapshot 14. Installed programs, browsers, GoodSync 9.9.23.3. Updated on 04/29/2018
                Snapshot 12. Installed programs (without browsers). Updated on 04/29/2018
            Snapshot 11. Only Add-ons are installed. Updated on 04/29/2018
You should consolidate them. Any setup that has more than 2 snapshots totally, is asking for trouble.

I need you to reboot your computer. Do not touch anything VirtualBox. We're going to edit the .vbox files and delete a couple of lines. I've included the line numbers to help you figure out which lines to delete. If you don't have a good text editor, get Notepad++.

MAKE A BACKUP OF THE .vbox FILES FIRST SOMEWHERE SAFE!

For "Windows XP.vbox":
46       <DVDImages>
47         <Image uuid="{e66cc4fc-d555-4bb3-84a7-ca5260e64d35}" location="C:/Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso"/>
48       </DVDImages>
For "Windows 7 x64.vbox":
39       <DVDImages>
40         <Image uuid="{e66cc4fc-d555-4bb3-84a7-ca5260e64d35}" location="C:/Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso"/>
41       </DVDImages>
Close and save both files. Start VirtualBox, start your VMs...
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

Lines 39-41 are deleted from Windows 7 x64.vbox. If I try to mount GA with Settings-Storage-Host Drive i(Optical drive 1) [Passthrough is ON]:
Unable to insert the virtual optical disk C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine Windows 7 x64.

The object functionality is limited.

Result Code: E_ACCESSDENIED (0x80070005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
Callee RC: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
If Passthrough is OFF - All is OK
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, just to summarize:
  • Mount the GAs while "Host Drive" selected and "Passthrough" selected, you get the error.
  • Mount the GAs while "Host Drive" selected and "Passthrough" not selected, works fine.
  • You started seeing this on a Win7 host with VirtualBox 5.2.8
  • Only in the Win7 VM, but not in the WinXP VM. The "Current states" that you attached here.
Is this a correct summary?
sprinter7

Post by sprinter7 »

Yes, it's OK
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks sprinter7, I'll try to reproduce the issue later tonight. But you know what's going to be the biggest problem? Trying to go through multiple snapshots from both OSes. That's going to be really a pain, so I can't guarantee anything.