Virtual machine and USB

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Robertos

Virtual machine and USB

Post by Robertos »

Hello

I installed VB 5.2.6 but I cannot use the usb ports. I mean that USB devices are not installed in the virtual machine.
I am using a host with win10 (and also win7) and I need to run a VM with winxp because of some uncompatibility of an old pinnacle management sw (pinnacle studio v9)with the newer win7 and so on. Pinnacle interfaces through a USB.
But even with normal USB pens for storage I am experiencing the same. The same happen to some friends of mine.

Regards
Roberto
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual machine and USB

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Robertos

Post by Robertos »

The Host is WIN10 Pro 64bit
4GB RAM

The guest is WinXP Home 32 bit SP3

Please let me know if something more is needed
Attachments
VBoxManage_Output.txt
txt file with the output of given VBoxManage cmd with the various options as requested
(5.28 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
winxp-video-2018-03-01-01-11-39.log
log file from cold boot then plugin usb, wait 2 min. unplug usb, shutdown vm as requested
(106.55 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Robertos wrote:The guest is WinXP Home 32 bit SP3
00:00:04.060425 File system of 'C:\Users\Armando\VirtualBox VMs\winxp-video\winxp-retail-sp2-disk1.vmdk' is ntfs
Did you actually upgrade to SP3? Why a VMDK? Is this an imported VM?

I don't see any USB filters enabled. You want to try again?

I don't see you inserting/ejecting of the USB device when you took the log. Please read the instructions again...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Robertos

Post by Robertos »

Yes winxp has been upgraded to SP3 I cant remember this. But from the control panel -> system is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Vers. 2002 SP3.
I tried already with filters vendorID 2304 and productID 0204 but no result and so i removed.

I followed the procedure and I did cold boot, logged in, waited a little, plugged in usb dev., wait 2 min. , removed usb device, shutdown.

I see the device captured but not connected. When i plug device in, in the bottom bar of VB with the little icons on the right side there is the icon of the usb plug. This shows some devices, one is the pinnacle and the status can range like this : available , another that i cant remember and captured. This happen when i right click on the icon and see the vendorID,ProducdID, Revision, Status.
Then when I move the pointer above the icon it always shows me "no USB device connected".
Then i leftclick on the device (as if to connect it i guess) and in the top of the vm appears a message "Pinnacle MovieBox USB_B connection to vm.... not performed"(not performed or something like that, message is in italian language)
Last edited by socratis on 1. Mar 2018, 13:32, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Robertos wrote:I followed the procedure and I did cold boot, logged in, waited a little, plugged in usb dev., wait 2 min. , removed usb device, shutdown.
Yes, but without a filter, you might as well wait until the end of the known universe. I told you to create a filter (#4: USB Filters) and try it again.
Robertos

Post by Robertos »

I added the filter
Here are the new files log and VBoxManager cmd

Regards
Roberto
Attachments
winxp-video-2018-03-02-11-44-31.log
(106.13 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
VBoxManageResult_new.txt
(5.38 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I see the filter is created correctly and it's active! Kudos!
But I don't see the device being plugged in the guest. Nothing. If it was, a string of "2304" along with "0204" would show up in the logs. It doesn't, it's like it wasn't plugged in at all...

Can you post the output of "VBoxManage list usbhost" and "VBoxManage showvminfo winxp-video" while the VM is running and the device is plugged in?
Robertos

Post by Robertos »

ok asap
Robertos

Post by Robertos »

By the way, do you think I should see the USB pinnacle also in the host (at least as unrecognized item)? Because it seems to me it does not. Now I try.
I remember that pinnacle studio 9 works only within winxp and my host is win10, so of course i did not install.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Robertos wrote:do you think I should see the USB pinnacle also in the host (at least as unrecognized item)? Because it seems to me it does not.
1) Yes, you should see it.
2) Yes, you do see it. Look at the output of "VBoxManage list usbhost".
3) Take a look at some tools you can verify that on your host, besides VirtualBox: USB basics and troubleshooting » #7: Troubleshooting.
Robertos

Post by Robertos »

Ok I add the VBoxManage result with the VM running and the pinnacle usb plugged in

Regards
Roberto
Attachments
VBoxManageResult_withVMrunning.txt
(5.54 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Robertos

Post by Robertos »

win10 show usb dev pinnacole but THIS has no drivers installed of course
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Something is not right here. I'll focus on the important details:
VendorId:           0x2304 (2304)
ProductId:          0x0204 (0204)
USB version/speed:  2/High
Manufacturer:       Pinnacle
Current State:      Available
USB:                enabled
EHCI:               enabled
XHCI:               disabled
Index:              0
Active:             yes
Name:               My_pinnacle
VendorId:           2304
ProductId:          0204
Revision:
Manufacturer:
Product:
Remote:
Serial Number:
Currently Attached USB Devices:
<none>
It's as if the VirtualBox doesn't see the device being plugged in. Are you sure that you plug-in the Pinnacle MovieBox after the VM is fully started and you have logged in?
Robertos

Post by Robertos »

Yes I am. Now I will try this way: log in , wait some time let's five min. then plug in the device
I will let you know
Regards
Roberto