Discuss the 5.2.8 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Discuss the 5.2.8 release

Post by michael »

Discuss the 5.2.8 release here.
You can download the release here.
Mainly a regression-fix release for 5.2.6.
trekfan1
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Discuss the 5.2.8 release

Post by trekfan1 »

On Ubuntu 18.04 the package libcurl is update to version 4 but virtualbox require libcurl3, it's time to open a new repo.
Sorry for my English, i'm Italian
Petr Vones
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64-bit

Post by Petr Vones »

Upgrade path 5.1.30 -> 5.2.8, all VMs powered off. After installing GA 5.2.8, mouse integration is no longer available in Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 guests :( Host: Windows 7 x64

EDIT: To fix it, you have to shutdown the VM after the GA installation (after guest reboot it is broken) and start it again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

trekfan1 wrote:On Ubuntu 18.04
It still is 18.03 (today actually, Happy new month). So I'd wait for the next revision. This is not a new 5.2.8 issue or a regression, is it?

Petr Vones wrote:(after guest reboot it is broken)
You didn't reboot your guest? And what does "reboot is broken" mean?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Petr Vones

Post by Petr Vones »

Petr Vones wrote:You didn't reboot your guest? And what does "reboot is broken" mean?
I did following steps (note the issue was not present in Windows Server 2008 R2 VM)

1. Start VM (Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016, powered off state)
2. Login to Windows, old GA 5.1.30 installed (mouse integration works)
3. Start GA 5.2.8 installer, it finishes, asks to reboot (mouse integration is already broken at this stage)
4. Reboot
5. Login to Windows, GA 5.2.8 is installed (mouse integration is broken)

Now you can repeat steps 4 to 5 many times, mouse integration is still broken, disabled in Input VM window menu.

To fix it you have to:

6. Shutdown the guest OS (to finish the VM session)
7. Start it again

It looks like something was broken in the VM session after GA update.
trekfan1
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by trekfan1 »

Ubuntu 18.04 (Codename Bionic Beaver) is next release and released on April 26 2018 and is an LTS, actually is still in development and actually i'm using for testing with installing virtualbox and other program, at this time libcurl is upgraded to version 4 but at this time it's not possible to upgrade this library and relative dependencies
Sorry for my English, i'm Italian
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@trekfan1
In case you missed my first reply, 18.04 is not yet released. It is not supported... yet.
And again. This is *not* a 5.2.8 new issue...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Petr Vones wrote:2. Login to Windows, old GA 5.1.30 installed (mouse integration works)
3. Start GA 5.2.8 installer, it finishes, asks to reboot (mouse integration is already broken at this stage)
Can you explain that part a little bit better? Because most of my VMs are "frozen" with the 5.1.26 GAs, and I've never, ever seen a behavior like the one you're trying to describe here. Is your pointing device set to "USB Tablet"? Anything else that might be out of the ordinary?

First and foremost: is this something that you see with 5.2.8 only? Or was it happening before that? Because if this is *not* a new behavior with 5.2.8, open a new thread. Otherwise, can you provide a VBox.log from a complete start/login/shutdown the VM process? ZIPPED!
hotjava1231

Post by hotjava1231 »

I have lately noticed high CPU usage (100 % percent) in the host OS (Arch Linux) when guest OS (Arch Linux) have a Chromium/Google Chrome web browser running with several tabs open, in which each have quite heavy usage of javascript. Mostly the browser is idling in the background and guest CPU usage is low (below 10%).

This happens at current release and in previous test builds of 5.2 series.
Attachments
vbox.log
(113.67 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
b-roth

Post by b-roth »

I would like to thank all VB developers for their great job!

Sometimes I have the impression the forum lacks a bit of appreciation.

The new VB release 5.2.8 "feels" much more quicker than any other previous release.
I have no concrete numbers but all machines are much faster than before.

Keep up the good work and have a nice week-end!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

b-roth wrote:The new VB release 5.2.8 "feels" much more quicker than any other previous release.
It's because they didn't include all the Spectre/Meltdown fixes! Yet! :D
(Just kidding, I don't really know what they have included or not)

But, if you want to see some slowdown (disclaimer: I haven't tried it yet), try the 5.2.8, newly added:
  • VBoxManage modifyvm <name|uuid> --spec-ctrl on|off
What it actually does, is left as an exercise... ;)
Petr Vones

Post by Petr Vones »

socratis wrote: Can you explain that part a little bit better? Because most of my VMs are "frozen" with the 5.1.26 GAs, and I've never, ever seen a behavior like the one you're trying to describe here. Is your pointing device set to "USB Tablet"? Anything else that might be out of the ordinary?

First and foremost: is this something that you see with 5.2.8 only? Or was it happening before that? Because if this is *not* a new behavior with 5.2.8, open a new thread. Otherwise, can you provide a VBox.log from a complete start/login/shutdown the VM process? ZIPPED!
No, the pointing device is set to: PS/2 Mouse

As I wrote, it happened after VirtualBox update from 5.1.30 to 5.2.8 version and I haven't seen it before either. Fortunately I have few old Windows 10 5.1.30 VMs I haven't started yet so I can reproduce the issue again. Logs and screenshots attached.
Attachments
Logs.zip
GA 5.2.8 issues logs
(198.72 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Petr Vones

Post by Petr Vones »

b-roth wrote: The new VB release 5.2.8 "feels" much more quicker than any other previous release.
I have no concrete numbers but all machines are much faster than before.
Yes, I can confirm that.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Petr Vones wrote:No, the pointing device is set to: PS/2 Mouse
Why? The default in the template calls for a USB Tablet. Why did you change it to PS/2? Please revert it to the default. Windows 10 will never see more than 1% of PS/2 mice in real life ;)
Petr Vones

Post by Petr Vones »

socratis wrote:Why? The default in the template calls for a USB Tablet. Why did you change it to PS/2?
I don't know, I guess it is the default value. Note that I don't install USB support because I don't need it and there were issues with the driver.

When I change it to "USB Tablet", it displays the exclamation mark icon, probably because of the missing USB support (USB Controller is disabled). Anyway, I already did many VB upgrades having this mouse setting and I have never had such issue before. Fortunately there is simple fix.