Discuss the 5.2.8 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Discuss the 5.2.8 release

Post by socratis »

Petr Vones wrote:I guess it is the default value.
No, it's not. It's never been the default for a Win10 guest. Not even for 8 or 8.1, and I'm pretty sure that this was the case for 7 as well.
 Edit: The default for a USB tablet has been in place since r38295 - 2011-08-03: "Use absolute pointing device by default for NT 5.0 and later guests". So, anything later than Win2K was using a "USB Tablet" as their default for the last 6 1/2 years. 
Petr Vones wrote:When I change it to "USB Tablet", it displays the exclamation mark icon, probably because of the missing USB support (USB Controller is disabled).
Enable it then. You don't even need the ExtPack to have USB1 support, which is the only thing needed for USB Tablet.
Petr Vones wrote:Fortunately there is simple fix.
Yes. See above ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Petr Vones
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10 64-bit

Post by Petr Vones »

socratis wrote:Enable it then. You don't even need the ExtPack to have USB1 support, which is the only thing needed for USB Tablet.
Ok, I can confirm it resolves the update issue. More precisely, it is still broken after the GA update from 5.1.30 to 5.2.8 installation finishes (which didn't happen with older versions), before the restart, but it is ok after the restart. So no other shutdown/start sequence is needed to fix it.
MrObvious

Post by MrObvious »

I updated to 5.2.8. and my mouse integration has stopped working. I have followed all the tips on this thread to no avail.

I have tried PS/2, USB, and USBTABLET settings. Nothing works.

It worked before just fine with the setting showing "PS/2".

Any suggestions?

I really can't do anything with the VM because the mouse and keyboard do not working inside the window like they did before.

This is Debian Linux guest running on Windows 10.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@MrObvious
  1. Use the "USB Tablet". There's no reason to use a PS/2 input device.
  2. Update the Guest Additions (GAs). Just upgrading the main VirtualBox is not enough.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MrObvious

Post by MrObvious »

So I managed to delete my VM while trying to fix this.

What was working fine was mouse: PS/2. Keyboard: PS/2. Capture: Off.

When I updated VirtualBox AND Guest Additions, that is what broke it.

I have a new one created from the install process I use, and I saved all settings if it happens again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@MrObvious
You don't seem to be reading my posts; the defaults call for a "USB Tablet". If you mess with the defaults, it's not VirtualBox that's failing at this point.
AstroHart

Post by AstroHart »

Is anyone else experiencing the following?

I am utilizing VirtualBox 5.2.8 with the latest Guest Additions pack, v5.2.8 as well (I do not recall exactly what file/version the .extpack was, however I do know I have checked for and downloaded all VirtualBox updates at the time of writing this post).

I am hosting a Windows 10 Build 1709 guest on a Windows 7 Professional System. The host system has 32 GB of RAM and 6 TB of hard drive space and a 3.7-Ghz processor, so I have very little reason to doubt the power of the host system to sustain VMs. The VM has 8 GB RAM, 4 CPUs, UEFI not enabled, and 160 GB of hard drive space.

So, why, then is the Windows 10 Guest extremely slow, to the point of being downright unusable? And, with the guest additions installed, then the system has been rebooted, and then the guest additions were installed again, but the VM is slow to the point of being totally useless. The hard drive of my host just spins and spins and spins, but when I click the mouse and choose menus, it takes 1-5 minutes for anything I do with the mouse to have any effect at all on the guest.

Anyone else having issues with VM performance?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@AstroHart
If this is not a regression for 5.2.8, please open a new thread. We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Bill A

Post by Bill A »

Virtual box is totally unusable on my Toshiba Satellite 4k laptop with a Dell u2410 external screen. It opened on the dell monitor (which has the taskbar). The text was unreadable. I did help/about and the text in the bottom right corner (the version nbr?) was unreadable. Must have been 1 pixel high.

I upgraded to 5.2.8 and had same problem.

Here is a cropped version of the photo I took of the screen to meet your upload size limitations. (original does have the vertical gray bar banding)
vbox1.png
vbox1.png (64.97 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
RoboRob

Post by RoboRob »

Hi Not sure if this is the best place to post but ....

unlike other posters here I have major performance problems with the latest release.

I try to keep up to date, moving to the each new release shortly after release. After moving to version 5.2.8 r121009 (Qt5.6.2) I have run into an issue where one of my WinXP hosted guests constantly sucks CPU time on the host. It seems to use around 20-30% of HOST CPU continuously, the actual WinXP os is showing as idle most of the time and if it is doing something I don't know what:) I have tried rebooting, disabling anti-virus (XP) and updating the guest OS add ons, with no luck.

My Virtual Box hosts a number of other guests on the same computer (WinXP, CentOS and Win 10) and these all seem to be ok. However I believe I have noticed a trend where turning off the troublesome guest causes another guest to begin using up CPU time. Restarting the troublesome guest leaves me with TWO guests running at 20-30 % (which kills the performance of all the virtuals), which after a couple of days reverts back to only one high use guest. This feels like a VBox bug but I haven't seen any other reports of issues.

The Host is Windows 10.

How should I proceed?

Edit:  Just checked again and I might be wrong, It might be my XP guest. Even though task manager shows no apps using CPU on the 'Processes' tab, on the 'Performance' tab it is sitting between 25 - 55%. Most of it red (OS?) . Is this somethng to do with VB or is this something else? Any ideas how to track this down?

Cheers
Rob