UbuntuMate and Guestaddition (problems)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
boxino

UbuntuMate and Guestaddition (problems)

Post by boxino »

I did some tests with ubuntu mate 16.04.3 LTS and guest additions with Vbox 5.2.6.
I created a new virtual machine and installed the operating system.
I tried to install guest addition 5.2.6 and 5.2.7 but the result is always the same: they are not managed by the system and all the services are not usable. Sharing folders, sharing notes is not carried out etc.
I reinstalled the same machine and used guestaddition 5.1.33 and everything seems ok. With other operating systems these problems seem not to arise. Can you also do some tests to understand what happens?
Thank you.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: UbuntuMate and Guestaddition (problems)

Post by andyp73 »

boxino wrote:I tried to install guest addition 5.2.6 and 5.2.7 but the result is always the same: they are not managed by the system and all the services are not usable.
I think VirtualBox is one of the most verbose applications that I have ever used and of things aren't working there tends to be information in a log file somewhere that gives a bit of a clue as to what has gone on. We will need more information on your problem to be able to help you fix it.

Do we assume that Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS is your guest OS?

What is your host OS and version? It might not have an impact but sometimes does!

Do the guest additions compile correctly but not install?

Not being an Ubuntu user has there been an update to it as an attempt to fix the Meltdown/Spectre bugs in which case you may want to try the latest Test Builds

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
boxino

Re: UbuntuMate and Guestaddition (problems)

Post by boxino »

What this problem depends on I do not know. Probably it would seem to rewrite the Linux driver of the addons from 5.1.3x. I have already published other logs in previous posts, I do not think they change much from the present one. I have a linux base machine both debian 8 and Ubuntu mate 16.04.3 LTS (guest and host) but both lead to the same result with version 5.2.x. You could do some testing directly the installation is not complicated, with ubuntu mate very simple both as a base on the PC and as a virtual machine. Of course you would be more likely to understand what happens.
Bye!