[Solved] A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Oratius

[Solved] A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine.

Post by Oratius »

Hello!
I'm having trouble setting up my virtual machine, I'm trying to host Kali Linux(32 bit architecture), my computer has about 8 GB of RAM, that's why I think the RAM capacity is not the problem.

The problem is that when I press the "Install" button, the screen suddenly turns black and this message is shown: "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine."

Thanks if you can help me! Down here are attached the image and the log of Vbox, also it would be very nice if you could explain me how you detected this error in the Vbox logs, thanks in advance :-)
Last edited by socratis on 19. Feb 2018, 21:27, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine.

Post by socratis »

Oratius wrote:(I had to delete some parts of this log because apparently it wasn't accettable in this forum, I hope I didn't delete anything fundamental)
We can't know for sure. Partial logs are not that helpful I'm afraid. Please ZIP and attach the full log.

I've removed both the partial text log and the black screen that you attached. The log was... partial, and the black screen was adding nothing to the description, except extra space... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Oratius

Post by Oratius »

Okay, I did as you asked me, here's the zipped log :-)
Attachments
Vbox logs.rar
(42.16 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.058598   HMEnabled         <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:02.059207 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
00:00:02.692409 Full Name:           "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz"
00:00:43.064236 !!         VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2403 (VERR_TRPM_DONT_PANIC)
Address the VT-x issue and the problem will most probably go away. Your i7-6500U certainly supports it...

Or uncheck the VT-x option in the VM Settings » System » Acceleration. That might help as well...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Oratius

Post by Oratius »

I solved the problem enabling the virtualization mode, thanks for the help :-)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].