Locked down Virtualbox for a school environment

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mansin

Re: Locked down Virtualbox for a school environment

Post by mansin »

Thank you all for the feedback's. I appreciate the "locks" could be bypassed, but this is the only solution that many many schools are using across the country (UK) and maybe worldwide?

There are educational IT forums littered with VirtualBox as the solution for "sandbox" environment. This is the only solution we can provide, when the curriculum requires for students to be programming and at the same time having to secure the main network of the school.

Whilst all of you have pointed out VirtualBox is not designed for this environment, non have suggested an alternative. Does one not exist (or at least not for educational institute)?

Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mansin wrote:but this is the only solution that many many schools are using across the country (UK) and maybe worldwide?
I wouldn't know, haven't done any research on this, not my area of interest...
mansin wrote:There are educational IT forums littered with VirtualBox as the solution for "sandbox" environment.
As in it can't hurt your host, unless you allow it to. That's a sandbox. Not a prison ;)
mansin wrote:Whilst all of you have pointed out VirtualBox is not designed for this environment, non have suggested an alternative. Does one not exist (or at least not for educational institute)?
See #1.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mansin

Post by mansin »

Slightly different help needed, please.

Googling suggests the following command to resize the HDD.

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyhd "c:\VM\XP1 Clone\XP1 Clone.vdi" --resize 71680
However, running that command produces this very helpful(!) error:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage.exe: error: Resize medium operation for this format is not implemented yet!
If the error is to be believed, then why does the command exist? Any ideas how to overcome this?

Thank you
Manny
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mansin wrote:Slightly different help needed, please.
Then open a new thread. The title of the thread should match the contents of the messages. One problem per thread, one thread per problem.

I'm going to make a small exception, but if it's going to go for more than a message, please open a new thread, or I'm going to have to. And you may not like the title I choose... ;)

If the VDI is fixed, you can't resize it. If the size is less than currently occupied, you can't resize it. Read the User Manual, ch. 8.23 VBoxManage modifymedium, the "--resize" part. Also, use the following command to find out your VDI's current properties:
  • VBoxManage showmediuminfo "c:\VM\XP1 Clone\XP1 Clone.vdi"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.