Check for Updates After Version Rollback

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
N0YB

Check for Updates After Version Rollback

Post by N0YB »

After rollback from 5.2.6 to 5.1.32 check for updates is stuck on 5.2.6.

How to correct to check for 5.1.x updates?

Host: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Check for Updates After Version Rollback

Post by socratis »

There is no check for 5.1.x once the stable flag has been set for the 5.2.x release. And that has been set with 5.2.6. You're going to have to disable the automatic checks and take it into manual drive.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
N0YB

Post by N0YB »

Not even a registry "hack"? Where is the stable flag located? Is it in the registry? The flag bits have to be stored somewhere do they not? Surely there must be a way.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

There's no "registry" in a cross-platform program like VirtualBox I'm afraid, just plain old text configuration files. Quite more manageable if you ask me.

The "stable" flag is located somewhere in Oracle's servers. The developers flip to a particular version when they feel confident enough. So, if your program checks for stable updates, and there's one available, it's going to point to that one. We've had people complaining about the reverse; they were in 5.1.x, checking for stable version updates and the program wouldn't notify them about the availability of 5.2.x. Some actually went so far, that they started calling people liars... :roll:

The only option you got? I've already told you the only option you got; switch to manual control.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.