VB keeps creating a snapshot from the VDI

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Zak Mc Kracken

VB keeps creating a snapshot from the VDI

Post by Zak Mc Kracken »

Hi all,

I have the last VB for Mac and a Windows 7 guest. I've noticed that, after turning off the guest, VB always creates a snapshot under the .vdi disk (visible from the Virtual Media Manager) with a few hunred MBs. If I release/remove it, then I have to go the machine settings and reattach the root .vdi, but after powering on/off again, a new snapshot is created again. I don't want this, I want the original .vdi read/written as usually.

What's going wrong?

Also, note that I have a second machine with Ubuntu as gues and that isn't misbehaving that way.

Thanks in advance,
Marco
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VB keeps creating a snapshot from the VDI

Post by socratis »

Zak Mc Kracken wrote:What's going wrong?
Right-click on the VM, Show in Finder. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file before attaching it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Zak Mc Kracken

Post by Zak Mc Kracken »

socratis wrote: Right-click on the VM, Show in Finder. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file before attaching it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Thanks. Indeed, the .vbox file had a snapshot section, for reasons I can't explain. I've recreated the virtual machine and now it doesn't do that anymore.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm pretty sure that you can understand what I wrote in my message.
I'm not sure why you didn't do it. The instructions were simple enough...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.