Host mashine and virtual mashine can't use USB-port simultaneous

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Gaba

Host mashine and virtual mashine can't use USB-port simultaneous

Post by Gaba »

Good day all,

Sorry that noob questions, but i have trouble with my virtual machine in VirtualBox.
I have virtual machine with WinXP OS, where use some old programs. And in this host-machine i have printer, connected through USB port. And when i try print some documents in host-machine, i need switch Off USB-port in virtual machine. But when i need print in virtual machine - i need switch On USB-port. This situation very stupid and inefficiently.
So, my questions: You guys have this problem, or only I have??? Who know, how can i fix this inconvenience?

Host-machine OS - Win 10 Pro (4 Gb RAM)
Virtual-machine OS - WinXP (1 Gb RAM)
Printer - HP Laser Jet Pro 400

Virtual Box version - 5.2.6
Extension Pack - 5.2.6

Thanks!
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Host mashine and virtual mashine can't use USB-port simultaneous

Post by andyp73 »

If it were me, I would leave the printer connected to the host system (i.e. don't capture the USB device in the virtual machine configuration) and share it using Windows' File and Printer sharing feature. The guest OS should then be able to connect to it as a network printer providing you have the networking setup properly in the guest.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Gaba wrote:This situation very stupid and inefficiently.
Please describe to me how you would connect your USB printer to two computers, at the same time. Then we can talk about stupidity all you want... ;)
Gaba wrote:You guys have this problem, or only I have???
Everybody and their cousin has this. It's not a "problem", it's the way things are. By definition.
Gaba wrote:Who know, how can i fix this inconvenience?
You can share the printer with Windows networking. Then your XP guest might (or might not) see the shared printer. I need to test it and see if it requires some "massage" from (mainly) the Win10 host to allow such an old OS to connect to its shared resources.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Gaba

Post by Gaba »

socratis wrote:Please describe to me how you would connect your USB printer to two computers, at the same time. Then we can talk about stupidity all you want...
When I used Win7, that OS have Virtual machines (XP-mode), there no need swith On/Off USB-port printer. This operation was done automatically, that is, the system itself took the required USB-port.
andyp73 wrote:You can share the printer with Windows networking. Then your XP guest might (or might not) see the shared printer. I need to test it and see if it requires some "massage" from (mainly) the Win10 host to allow such an old OS to connect to its shared resources.
When i try it, system give me this message:
https://cdn1.savepice.ru/uploads/2018/1 ... d-full.png
NoNoNo
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP(32bit) / Debian 8.x / Debian 7.x / Windows 7(32bit)

Post by NoNoNo »

Gaba wrote:When i try it, system give me this message:
https://cdn1.savepice.ru/uploads/2018/1 ... d-full.png
Try to correct that credential things. maybe this article can help?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Gaba wrote: When I used Win7, that OS have Virtual machines (XP-mode), there no need swith On/Off USB-port printer. This operation was done automatically, that is, the system itself took the required USB-port.
XP mode was designed to handle exactly one scenario: an XP mode VM on a Win7 host. Plus the XP mode VM was preprepared by Microsoft, complete with tools and proper configuration (including printer redirection), not installed by you from a standard XP ISO. That scenario is worlds away from what VirtualBox does, and if that's where your expectations are then you will be severely disappointed.

If you want an analogue to what VirtualBox does, then it's like self building a PC by ordering the components (motherboard, drives, case) and installing the OS from scratch. Don't expect any special comforts. What VirtualBox does is more basic, but it's applicable to a much wider range of host and guest scenarios.