vdi/vmdk can i go back and forth

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
vm_guy

vdi/vmdk can i go back and forth

Post by vm_guy »

i have 1 virtual machine on virtualbox,
i want to transfer that virtual machine to my esxi vmware machine
the current vm is VDI

i know vdi is virtualbox and vmdk is for vmware, but is one of these backwards compatible?

i heard vmdk is backwards compatiable with virtualbox and vmware, and vdi is only for virtualbox,
i seem to be confused,
can someone clarify this for me,
i know i can convert my vdi to a vmdk, but its a bit of a pain

any backwards compatible?
Last edited by socratis on 11. Jan 2018, 13:45, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Correction
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: vdi/vmdk can i go back and fourth

Post by socratis »

Read the two following chapters from the User Manual: You should also have a searchable PDF included with your installation. Take advantage of that fact, and use it to search the PDF for those terms.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The main thing I'd point out is this - if you have a corrupted disk disaster with a VMDK in VirtualBox then you're on your own. You'd need to ask on a VMWare forum for repair expertise.

That, and that certain features of VirtualBox are not available if you use VMDK, for example the "VBoxManage modifymedium" compact and resize subcommands.

p.s. I couldn't stand it any longer, and corrected the spelling of "forth" in the topic title. The horse that comes in after the third one is fourth. The rousing advice to restless youth is "go forth young man".
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

mpack wrote:p.s. I couldn't stand it any longer, and corrected the spelling of "forth" in the topic title. The horse that comes in after the third one is fourth. The rousing advice to restless youth is "go forth young man".
<off-topic>That reminds me of a manager I used to have back in the days when the use of email wasn't widespread and most communication was by fax... he would take a red pen and correct all the spelling and grammar in incoming faxes before actually dealing with them</off-topic>

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: vdi/vmdk can i go back and forth

Post by mpack »

The OCD-ish inability to tolerate even minor flaws is a useful trait in an engineer. Possibly other occupations too. So, I'm with your former manager! :)