Modify BIOS name and BIOS version

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
rene89

Modify BIOS name and BIOS version

Post by rene89 »

VirtualBox sets as BIOS name "Default System BIOS" and as version "VBOX - 1" in the DMI data of a VM. Is there a way to change these values to arbitrary ones?

The commands mentioned in the VirtualBox manual, section 9.12. doesn't help for these specific DMI data.

Thanks in advance!
wendelf

Re: Modify BIOS name and BIOS version

Post by wendelf »

rene89, solved your problem or another anybody can help me?

I have the same. I need change the BIOS version but i cant.

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

See ch. 9.12 Configuring the BIOS DMI information of the user manual.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wendelf

Post by wendelf »

Hi, thanks for reply.

I just tried all the options right now but none of them worked. I need to change the value of the version that appears by typing in DOS: "wmic bios get version" (VBOX - 1)
Is it possible that the command is not listed in chapter 9.12 or the function has not been implemented?

Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

wendelf wrote:Is it possible that the command is not listed in chapter 9.12 or the function has not been implemented?
Either is a possibility. You'd have to check the source code for more details...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
wendelf

Post by wendelf »

I did download the source but have some much files here. Have specific place here for help me find and replace the value of this variable?

Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Are you going to build your own VirtualBox? With no hardening? The debug version?
wendelf

Post by wendelf »

Sorry, but you tell me to see the source and I thought changing that value and then compiling the program with the change would not be difficult. After locating this variable I would search on how to compile but apparently it is not that simple, correct?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

wendelf wrote:apparently it is not that simple, correct?
Absolutely correct! It's not a "gcc VirtualBox.c" type of thing. Check the building instructions, see i you can get it going, and then you'll know enough to find the variable.