Discuss the 5.2.4 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
egor.isem

Re: Discuss the 5.2.4 release

Post by egor.isem »

Crash when i clicked on item menu (Import configuration) without error name, just Windows say This program has stoped. 5.2.4 clear install.
mingle

Post by mingle »

After installing the latest kernel (4.14.10) on my VB Linux Mint xfce 64-bit installation, had issues with screen resolution dropping to a 'default' 1024x768, also USB issues.

So it looked like the VB Guest Additions had been screwed-up by the kernel upgrade, so I tried re-installing the guest additions from the 5.1.24 ISO image, but this gave an error, the same as in this previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83581

So is it safe to assume that this will be fixed in a future update?

Cheers,

Mike.
JoergK

Post by JoergK »

Hello mingle,

when you are using VB 5.2.4 why didn't you use the GAs from this version? I thought the latest GAs should mitigate most problems found in earlier 5.2.x releases.

Best regards,
Joerg
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

mingle wrote:had issues with screen resolution dropping to a 'default' 1024x768, also USB issues.

So it looked like the VB Guest Additions had been screwed-up by the kernel upgrade
The GAs have nothing whatever to do with USB. I also have my doubts that the GAs dictate display size, ISTM they will only care about display performance.

As JoergK says, there have been a lot of graphics related fixes lately, so it's very important that, if you install VirtualBox 5.2.4, you should try the 5.2.4 GAs as well, particularly if the guest uses 2D or 3D graphics acceleration.
GregB3

Post by GregB3 »

I updated to 5.2.4. After updating all my linux VMs to the 5.2.4 Guest Additions they all did good restarts. Today I ran my Fedora 27 VM and did a regular update via DNF in a terminal. The only update was new kernel packages. Upon restart the VM generates a consistent error message and I do the recommended power off of the VM. It said to upload the log file and the .png file. Is there any privacy information in the log file that I need to worry about? The .png file is just a black rectangle. Do you prefer the log file as is, or should it be zipped up first? The error message is as follows:
A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped.
For help, please see the Community section on https://www.virtualbox.org or your support contract. Please provide the contents of the log file VBox.log and the image file VBox.png, which you can find in the C:\Users\[username]\VirtualBox VMs\Fedora 27 x64\Logs directory, as well as a description of what you were doing when this error happened. Note that you can also access the above files by selecting Show Log from the Machine menu of the main VirtualBox window.
Press OK if you want to power off the machine or press Ignore if you want to leave it as is for debugging. Please note that debugging requires special (text recommending a power off follows)
Last edited by socratis on 5. Jan 2018, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

GregB3 wrote:The .png file is just a black rectangle.
Enough said, we all suspect what that might look like... ;)
GregB3 wrote:Do you prefer the log file as is, or should it be zipped up first?
ZIP your logs. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two...
GregB3 wrote:Is there any privacy information in the log file that I need to worry about?
Nope.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
GregB3

Post by GregB3 »

Here is my zipped Vbox.log.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(45.49 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
mingle

Post by mingle »

Sorry guys, brain/finger-error - I am in fact using the 5.2.4 (NOT 5.1.24) GAs...
JoergK wrote:Hello mingle,

when you are using VB 5.2.4 why didn't you use the GAs from this version? I thought the latest GAs should mitigate most problems found in earlier 5.2.x releases.

Best regards,
Joerg
Etepetete
Guest OSses: Slackware 14.2

Post by Etepetete »

Host, Windows 10 Professional
I created a new VM, Slackware 14.2 (installed everything), upon trying to install the GAs, I received the error message, "This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules ..."

It seems the GA installer was looking for the headers in the wrong directory.

I got the GAs installed by pointing to the directory with the headers:

from a Terminal in CD directory I entered the following command: (as root user)

Code: Select all

sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run install ~/opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.4 KERN_DIR=~/lib/modules/4.4.88
The GAs installed without issue.
:D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@GregB3
You're getting a Guru Meditation:
00:00:17.401353 !!   VCPU0: Guru Meditation -1668 (VERR_PGM_INVALID_CR3_ADDR)
Unfortunately there aren't that many references for that specific error, so if it's not the same as the error in ticket #15090, you should file a new ticket.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mingle

Post by mingle »

Etepetete wrote:It seems the GA installer was looking for the headers in the wrong directory....
Tried your suggestion with no luck. Here's the output in the vboxadd-setup.log:

Does this suggest that the latest kernels (this has been an issue for the last 4 point releases (4.14.9 - 4.14.12) have moved some necessary files around - or deleted them entirely?

Code: Select all

Removing existing VirtualBox kernel modules.
Building the main Guest Additions module.
make V=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/4.14.12-041412-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -j4 modules
make[1]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
Makefile:948: *** "Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel".  Stop.
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.footer:101: recipe for target 'vboxguest' failed
make: *** [vboxguest] Error 2
Creating user for the Guest Additions.
Creating udev rule for the Guest Additions kernel module.
Building the main Guest Additions module.
make V=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/4.14.12-041412-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 -j4 modules
make[1]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
Makefile:948: *** "Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel".  Stop.
/tmp/vbox.0/Makefile.include.footer:101: recipe for target 'vboxguest' failed
make: *** [vboxguest] Error 2
Creating user for the Guest Additions.
Creating udev rule for the Guest Additions kernel module.
modprobe vboxguest failed
Last edited by socratis on 8. Jan 2018, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

@mingle,
Cannot generate ORC metadata for CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or elfutils-libelf-devel".
It tells you what seems to be missing. Have you done what the message tells you to try?
Etepetete

Post by Etepetete »

Dear mingle,

I wasn't suggesting anything. This is the general discussion thread for the 5.2.4 release. If you had been following the discussions prior to this release, you will have noticed that there have been various difficulties with the GAs and various linux distributions. As such I was just reporting, giving information to the fabulous VBox developers, who have been busting their a** for years on end to bring you a fantastic software, accompanied by a documentation that not only is updated with each release but in its depth and detail is stunning. All of that free of charge!

Being familiar with Slackware, I knew that installing everything meant, the headers had to be there, the installer just didn't find them. I did the necessary research and found the solution.

Now to your situation,

first off, you should have posted in another thread, probably under linux guests. Secondly you provided very little information, what's your host, which distribution of linux are you using, what did you do to get where you got to? I assume you didn't read the Rules and FAQ before joining, and if you did you didn't adhere to them. Imho this is not giving the moderators of this site the due respect they deserve. The moderators are the main reason for this forum being as superb as it is. On a daily basis they help, despite the fact that so many members aren't willing to do the basics first before posting, and that in their free time, as volunteers, not to mention the other members offering their time and help.

It all boils down to two simple rules:
RTFM and
STFF (S=Search, 2nd F=Forum)

Please don't take this personally, but do take it to heart. In some fable I picked up a saying that went something like this, "Give a man a fish and he will eat for one day, teach him to fish and he will eat for the rest of his life."
Perry just gave you a fish, RTFM and STFF are how to fish.

Best regards
Etepetete

Post by Etepetete »

Update: GA installer looking in wrong directory

I went through the process of installing Slackware from scratch again.

As is so often the case, the problem existed between keyboard and chair. :oops:

After installing Slackware, I did an upgrade but didn't reboot afterwards. uname -r was returning the old kernel version. After reboot, all as expected.
Brutalizer

Post by Brutalizer »

Regression: Seamless mode does not work. Host: Solaris 11.3. Guest: Windows7 Enterprise SP1.

When I switch to seamless mode, the window is minimized and all I can see is the name of the VM at the very bottom (task bar). The window disappears completely. Pressing the VM at the task bar at the bottom does not do anything, the VM does not appear, it is gone. I need to switch to full sized mode to work again. Downgrading to 5.1.30 which works fine...