[Solved] Failed to open a session for ...

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
LenT

[Solved] Failed to open a session for ...

Post by LenT »

I already have a virtual that launches properly, but I am running out of C-drive space. I tried follow some steps I found online to migrate the VDI but the Machine Manager will not let me remove the virtual drive. I can only copy or modify. So, I copied to my desired location on my D-Drive (large internal drive).

Vbox version is: 5.1.30 r 118389 (Q15.6.2)

I created a new machine and specified my D-drive location for snapshots and attached the new VDI file. But when I launch I get the following error message:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine xxx.

VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
(VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x800040005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought I had duplicated all of the settings in my working machine, but obviously something is not correct. I tried searching help and found nothing.

Thanks,
Last edited by socratis on 18. Dec 2017, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
LenT
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Faild to open a session for ...

Post by socratis »

1. Your VM moving... It has absolutely nothing to do with the error. For reference, please read the FAQ: Moving a VM for the proper procedure.
  2. The error is quite clear. You need to get into the BIOS of your computer and enable VT-x, or else known as Hardware Virtualization.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LenT

Post by LenT »

What had me confused is that the existing virtual machine runs fine, so I thought the BIOS already has virtualization turned on. Does the BIOS have a separate flag for each virtual machine?

It has been awhile since I created the original VM, so I will take a look at the BIOS again.

Thanks.
LenT
LenT

Post by LenT »

I should have checked the BIOS to start with. Not sure why the first VM worked properly with the Virtualization being disabled. But it was disabled and after enabling it, the new VM works fine.

Thanks,
LenT
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

LenT wrote:after enabling it, the new VM works fine.
Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.