Can't figure out how to link host USB floppy drive to virtual floppy drive

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mdjrb

Can't figure out how to link host USB floppy drive to virtual floppy drive

Post by mdjrb »

Yes, I know, this has been asked before. I've been trying things for hours, and I still haven't gotten anything to work. Not even creating a disk image.

"It's impossible to do."
Virtual floppy drives, like virtual CD/DVD drives, can be connected to either a host floppy drive (if you have one) or a disk image
User Manual: 3.7. Storage settings

I've connected virtual CD/DVD drives to USB CD/DVD drives before, so I know how this should work.

Basic info:
  • Host: macOS version 10.12.6 (16G1036)
  • Guest: MS-DOS version 6.22
  • VirtualBox: 5.1.30 r118389 (Qt5.6.3)
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Can't figure out how to link host USB floppy drive to virtual floppy drive

Post by BillG »

It is certainly not impossible. I installed MS-DOS from floppy disk images recently. I don't have a physical floppy drive so that option did not appear. It works just like the optical drive. Click on the icon and select from the list.
Floppy.PNG
Bill
mdjrb

Post by mdjrb »

This is all I get. I can use floppy images, which I've tried for hours to create without success, but my physical floppy drive does not appear the way that my physical CD/DVD drive would.
Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 11.15.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 11.15.19 AM.png (127.22 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

So, do you have a physical floppy drive? On a Mac? No you don't. What you may have is an external USB floppy drive, that's not the same as an internal floppy drive.

What you need to do is to create an IMG file from that floppy by using "Disk Utility" » "New Image" (select the floppy) » read/write. Rename it to ".img" and you're done.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Leni

Post by Leni »

I´ve got the same problem with my USB Floppy drive on my Windows 10 Computer with Guest OS Window XP 32 bit. I don´t really understand how to create an Image from that Floppy, in particular how to find:
"Disk Utility">"New Image">read/write?
Thanks for your help
Leni
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Leni wrote:in particular how to find: "Disk Utility">"New Image">read/write?
This is for an OSX host, not a Windows host. Search for "create img from floppy". I haven't used anything on Windows to do that, but "IMGFLPYD" has come up in a couple of results, and it's free (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... ftware.htm). I haven't tried it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:I haven't used anything on Windows to do that, but "IMGFLPYD" has come up in a couple of results, and it's free (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downlo ... ftware.htm). I haven't tried it...
I always used to use RawWrite for Windows (http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite). It is still installed on my Windows 10 host and executes but I haven't had a physical floppy drive (USB or otherwise) for at least 10 years so can't guarantee it works correctly!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Leni

Post by Leni »

So I tried both suggestions, from socratis and andyp73.

1. I will beginn with the post of andyp73, because he proposed to use a .raw file, which is according to the user manual the right thing. So I downloaded Rawwrite for Windows in my common folder. There I found the file "rawwritewin.exe". I opened it (with my floppy drive connected to the host). As far as I know the only choice to use as target was "drive A". I did so and the program started to write files on the Floppy. But I couldn´t find any raw-file on the common folder. When I tried to start once more "rawwritewin.exe" in the guest system, the message is "no floppy drive found" (of course). If I click "ok" on this message which tells me "floppy drive: empty" and this may not be changed.
When I went to the host system I found a disk drive A, but clicking on it I get the message "this requirement is not supported". (Of course-Windows 10!).
So I am captured between host and guest and don´t have any possibility to install a raw-file.
Question: What am I doing wrong?

2. Secondly I downloaded "imgflpyd" (post of socratis) and stored it in a separate subfolder of the common folder. When I open it I see some txt files and the file "imgflpyd.exe". If I open it nothing happens.
In the readme.txt file I found the message:
"This utility is used to create a diskette image to a file.
To use:
imgflpyd driveletter filename
Example:
imgflpyd a cdboot.f35
"
So, on the guest system I used cmd.exe to to write: "imgflpyd c cdboot.f35". The result is "invalid drive letter".
However when I write: "imgflpyd a cdboot.f35", the result is: "Diskette Drive A: not found".
So in both cases I am not able to write an image file.
Question: What am I doing wrong in that case?
Leni
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You have a USB floppy. I do not know if it shows as drive "A:\" in your computer. So see what's going on in front of your computer and adjust your actions accordingly. Also make sure that the programs can handle the USB floppy drive and work with it...

BTW, mine wasn't a suggestion; it was the result of an internet search. As I mentioned, I haven't even tried (or heard of) that program.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Leni wrote: So I downloaded Rawwrite for Windows in my common folder. There I found the file "rawwritewin.exe". I opened it (with my floppy drive connected to the host). As far as I know the only choice to use as target was "drive A". I did so and the program started to write files on the Floppy.
What?? You are attempting to create a floppy image file. The floppy drive should be your source, not your destination. The program will read from the designated source floppy and write the result to a file on your PC. You can then mount that file as a floppy image in VirtualBox.

If the software gives you any file compression options then you should make sure that you choose "none".
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Yup... you need to use the "Read" tab within RawWrite and not the default tab which is "Write".

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:You have a USB floppy. I do not know if it shows as drive "A:\" in your computer.
Mine appears in Windows as drive A: which proves that the electronics still work even after 15 years. Sadly the graunching noises when I tried to access it suggest the mechanical bits not so much!

-Andy.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote: Sadly the graunching noises when I tried to access it suggest the mechanical bits not so much!
Then you should definitely replace the mechanical parts! And upgrade its capacity at the same time. Behold the amazing 128 GB floppy drive!

andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:Behold the amazing 128 GB floppy drive!
Some people have more money than sense and others have too much time on their hands. I think I know which category this falls into!

-Andy.
Leni

Post by Leni »

I think I have to clarify my starting position and my goal. Sorry it is a little bit lengthy, but only to be quite sure. Afterwards I will answer specifically to the posts I received up to now.
1. Starting position
My host OS is Windows 10 home with the latest updates. the first drive is C: (a SSD device). Here the OS of Windows 10 is installed.
The second drive is D: ( a hard disk drive) where I have installed the virtual machine with Windows XP 32 bit. The common folder is on D:\"my name"\common folder. Here I installed a subfolder "Floppy image" with again two subfolders: One is "imgflpyd" and the other is "rawwritewin-0.7".

2.My goal
My goal is to install a Floppy drive in the guest system. To do this I need a raw image file in order to install the floppy drive in the guest system. Th physical floppy is attached via USB on the host system.
On the guest system I opened rawwritewin.exe. in the window coming up, I got the message "insert a empty floppy cd". I did so and the only choice to use as drive was "drive A". The program started to write files on the floppy. But I could not find any ".raw" file in the common folder. Trying again to open rawwrite I got the message "no floppy found". I went back to the host system, I see in the windows explorer a "drive A"!!! But of course I can´t open it, because its windows 10 and doesn´t support floppys.
So my problem is: I can´t generate a raw file in order to install a floppy in the guest system (Windows XP). I´m captured between the two facts: Floppy in Windows 10 doesn´t work and in windows XP there doesn´t exist a floppy (of course).
In my native language one would say: "Die Katze beißt sich in den Schwanz" which means: "the cat is biting in her own tail"

3. Answers to the posts received up to now
mpack wrote:
the floppy drive should be your source, not your destination. The program will read from the designated source floppy and write the result to a file on your PC
andyp73 wrote:
Yup... you need to use the "Read" tab within rawwrite and not to use the default tab which is "Write".
I think, both posts are pointing in the same direction. So my question is: I have to be in the host system and not in the guest system, because there is no drive A. If this is correct, please confirm, otherwise I would appreciate to receive your further comments.
Leni