[Solved] Using USB 3.0 memory sticks in WinXP

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
WeirdSystem

[Solved] Using USB 3.0 memory sticks in WinXP

Post by WeirdSystem »

I am running WinXP inside of Win7 .
I tried to set up a USB 3.0 device but I couldn't make it work . That is when I got back to the Guest OS , the system detected a USB controller but I got the message that there was an error with my device and it won't work properly .
This might was my own fault m however . You see , here's what I did : I connected the USB 3.0 memory stick to my physical PC , then I set up the device in the VN settings (while the VM was not working) , I closed the Settings and before starting the VM I removed the memory stick . Then I started the VM . So the problem could be the fact the the memory was missing when WinXP loaded up . I don't know . I only removed the memory because I thought I had to do that ; that is to connect the memory only after I had WinXP running so that it would detect the device like in a real PC .
Anyway after that , WinXP can't use the memory . I even uninstalled the driver (from within WinXP) so that the system could once again detect the device (this time while the memory was connected) but still the same problem . Not only that , but even on my Host I could no longer use the USB 3.0 memories ! I don't know why that happened ! I managed to solve this by removing the Extension Pack and by restarting the PC (the host) .
If I can't do anything else to use the USB 3.0 memory through emulation I guess must leave it is . Otherwise , please tell me what else I could try .

No matter what however , since I couldn't use the USB 3.0 memories directly from WinXP , I though I could try something else : I defined the memory as a shared folder . This actually worked , but then there was something else . Now that I am using the USB 3.0 memory as a shared folder , it has its blue little light flashing more often than it would do under normal conditions . Why is that ?
Last edited by WeirdSystem on 18. Dec 2017, 16:23, edited 2 times in total.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Using USB 3.0 memory sticks

Post by ChipMcK »

reference: USB basics and troubleshooting

However, WinXP does not support USB3 and Win7 does not support USB3.
For those Windows releases MS did not supply drivers for USB3.
WeirdSystem

Post by WeirdSystem »

Oh , I see ... So since both OSs do not support USB 3.0 this is a major problem ...
I could install the WinXP drivers from my motherboard CD , but I guess installing the drivers in the virtual machine , won't work , right ?
Another idea that crosses my mind is to set the USB version to 2.0 instead of 3.0 . I'll try that as soon as I get back to the other PC (now I am on another PC) and see what happens .
The only thing that scares me is that I'll have to reinstall the Extension Pack . Tell me something by the way : As I read in the manual , when a USB device is captured by the Guest OS , it is removed from the Host . Alright . But after I shut down the Guest , how can I make the USB memory available again in the Host ? The only way I know is to unplug it and replug it . But it would be nice if I could connect it directly without unplugging it .
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Did you even read the link that ChipMcK pointed you to? I'll bet anything that you didn't. So, do yourself a favor and read it. If you have any more questions, that haven't been already answered, please ask again. But not before you do some homework reading...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WeirdSystem

Post by WeirdSystem »

I really don't understand this offensive against me , although I do understand it's awful . For example since you were unable to understand if I looked in the link or not , you definitely should not claim such a thing . Too pity that you won't give me everything despite loosing the bet you placed yourself . Oh , and by the way I have stood plenty of hours in front different monitors reading the manual and other topics about Virtual Box . Even if you are an expert on something and I am not , that does not give the right to talk like that .
And before telling me to read , start reading yourself . You mentioned ChipMcK post . You failed though to read that he said
However, WinXP does not support USB3 and Win7 does not support USB3.
For those Windows releases MS did not supply drivers for USB3.
If this is still a misunderstanding I am willing to discus it . Otherwise you can always lock this topic after you add some words and avoid conversation .
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please get this discussion back onto the topic mentioned in the title.

It's been awhile since I last tried, but I don't believe that you can simply configure XP for USB2: that will not help it talk to a USB3 drive.

If you plug a USB3 device into a USB3 host port then the USB3 protocol stack is in play. The VM needs to talk USB3 in order to participate in that game.

If you can't get the guest to talk USB3 then you must force the host to talk USB2, i.e. plug the device into a USB2 host port, or into a USB2 hub.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

WeirdSystem wrote:I could install the WinXP drivers from my motherboard CD
You didn't read the article. Period. That's why I was willing to bet anything. If you had, you wouldn't be asking these questions. Some poor soul spent hours and hours compiling the common knowledge into a FAQ, just so that when people were directed to read the FAQ, they wouldn't be asking questions that were already answered in the FAQ.
WeirdSystem wrote:Even if you are an expert on something and I am not , that does not give the right to talk like that.
Like what exactly? Calling you on not reading what you were directed to read? Seriously now? For real?

As mpack mentioned, XP doesn't speak USB3. There are special steps to take: 1) use a USB2 port/hub/cable, or 2) Enable support for USB3 in a WinXP VM, see USB basics and troubleshooting, #6: Guest support. Yes, that's part of the FAQ...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WeirdSystem

Post by WeirdSystem »

I am trying to respect mpack's request , so I will only answer your questions quickly :
1) I did look into the link as I also did before you even told me . If I missed something you can simply tell me to look again or even ignore me . Not accuse me of lying .
2) You might be an expert and read those articles and quickly understand . I am not and I won't deny to admit I might failed to understand . I think now it's more than easy to understand what I mean about being expert or not .

I don't deal with virtual box every day ; in fact up to a few weeks ago I didn't even imagine such a thing exists . As I get it it's not that easy to work with a USB 3.0 memory in WinXP . That's OK . Afterall , thanks to Virtual Box , I already got more than I hoped for .
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm a user. You're a user. We're trying to help each other out, that's the whole premise of these forums. If there's something in the FAQ that seems confusing and/or not easy to understand, please tell me. The FAQ is not written in stone, it keeps changing with additions, corrections, clarifications. The idea is for any user to understand what's going on in the USB sphere. It *is* long, because it's not an easy subject...

So, if you have a suggestion (or two), don't hesitate to point them out. It could help future users...
WeirdSystem

Post by WeirdSystem »

I changed everything to USB 2.0 (the setting in Virtual Box and the slots used to connect the memory sticks) . I think now everything works fine . It's not that fast as USB 3.0 , but for files like PDF , DOC , TXT etc that I am using , is more than enough .
I believe I can mark this topic as [Solved] !
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Using USB 3.0 memory sticks in WinXP

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. And thank you for marking it as [Solved]... ;)