[Solved] Installing virtual disk other than in OS disk drive

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Leni

[Solved] Installing virtual disk other than in OS disk drive

Post by Leni »

1. I have downloaded VirtualBox 5.2.2 which was installed on drive C.
2. My guest system will be Windows XP Prof SP3
3. My Host System: AcerV3- 771G, Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299. There are two drives . Drive C:SSD Device (128 GB, free space 25 GB).
Drive D: Harddisk drive (500 GB, free space 435 GB). On drive C the OS is installed.
Now in the user manual Chapt. 10.1.1 I read, that on Windows systems, by default, all VM are stored in a subfolder of $HOME/VirtualBox VMs, where $Home stands for C:\Users\username. The same is true for virtual disk images. Now since my drive C is nearly full, I have the following
Question: Is it possible to install all VMs in my drive D, which has plenty of free space? And if so, how shall I proceed to realize it?
I can´t find any topics about that neither in the manual nor (after a long search) in the forum.
Thank you for Your help!
Leni
Last edited by socratis on 22. Dec 2017, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installing virtual disk other than in OS disk drive

Post by socratis »

Leni wrote:I can´t find any topics about that neither in the manual nor (after a long search) in the forum.
User Manual, ch. 1.15 Global Settings. Also, see "Moving a VM" for already existing VMs.

PS. You should have a searchable PDF included with your installation. You should take advantage of that and try to search the PDF for those terms. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Leni

Post by Leni »

First of all thank you for your quick response. So I have got two more points, which i kindly ask to assist me:

1. I did not really install the VM up to now. I just wanted to clear up my problem. That´s why I downloaded the user manual first of all. But this PDF-file looks quite different from that what I see when I click on your first link "1.15 Global Settings", which shows me very detailed instructions of the user manual. So I guess this has to do with your PS advice: "you should have a searchable PDF included with your installation"
Question: Please could you advice me how I may realize this?

2. So when I install VirtualBox, according to my (non searchable PDF) concerning virtual hard disk I find in chapt. 1.7 on page 21 a window which states: "If you need a more complex storage set-up you can skip this step and make the changes to the machine settings once the machine is created". So I cancel this step and follow your advice in chapt. 1.15 "Global Settings" once the machine is created.
Question: Is this correct?

Thank you for your help
Leni
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Leni wrote:That´s why I downloaded the user manual first of all.
WOW! Most people install VirtualBox (or any other program) and *never* read the manual. You went ahead and downloaded the manual first! I'm really impressed!!! :D
Leni wrote:But this PDF-file looks quite different from that what I see when I click on your first link
Because the PDF is formatted for a page layout, while the HTML is formatted... for a browser layout, continuous.
Leni wrote:"you should have a searchable PDF included with your installation"
Question: Please could you advice me how I may realize this?
You said you downloaded the manual. I assume you did it from the Downloads page » User Manual. That's a searchable PDF. I don't know what PDF reader you have on your host, or if it allows you to search within a PDF, but the PDF *is* searchable. And if you install VirtualBox, then there is a copy of the User Manual in your installation directory.
Leni wrote:So I cancel this step and follow your advice in chapt. 1.15 "Global Settings" once the machine is created.
Question: Is this correct?
Actually, no. You should have changed the preferences and *then* create the VM. It's OK, since you haven't done anything yet, it's easy to simply delete that VM and create a new VM. It will be created in the new location. If you simply change the location of *only* the virtual disk image, then you'll have some files on C:\ and some files on D:\. It's best if you do it correctly from the start...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Leni

Post by Leni »

Thank you again for your help and support.
The first point on my last post is solved! I "overlooked" the search button, because I assumed that it should be on the top right side like all the other buttons. Indeed it is on the top left side. Now I used the search button and all works fine. This was my fault, I'm sorry for that!

According to my second question I need your comment if I understood right your advice:
  1. I downloaded VirtualBox which installed on C:\Oracle\VirtualBox as I assumed.
  2. I now start creating a virtual machine by clicking on "New" and giving a name, type and version of the guest OS.
  3. Then I select the amount of RAM, lets say 2 GB.
  4. Afterwards I create a virtual hard disk and define the volume of the VM, lets say 10 GB, which will be taken from drive C.
  5. After click on "Finish" I will see the VM in the Manager Window. I double click on its entry and than will see the "First Start Wizard".
  6. Here I select the installation media (ISO image of Windows XP installed in drive C (?) ) by double clicking on it.
  7. Ok now I will change the location for VMs to install them on drive D within a certain folder as described in 1.15 Global Settings point 1.
  8. Now by clicking on the label "New" I restart the above procedure for a new VM in drive D, or shall I first remove the VM on drive C and then restart the above procedure for a VM in drive D?
  9. Finally I install the guest additions.
Thank you for your comments
Leni
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Part 1: No problem, glad you find the search field. It will certainly help you in the future... ;)

Part 2
Once you start the "New VM" wizard, the location is selected from the "Default Machine Folder" in the preferences. So, if you haven't changed the preferences, it will be created in "C:\Users\Leni\VirtualBox VMs\<Your_VM_name>". Even before you install the VM. If you have created a VM in such a way, you can move it. See "Moving a VM" for more information.

If you go to the VirtualBox Preferences and change the "Default Machine Folder" before you create a VM, then after that any new VM that you create will be created in the new location that you selected. This will not affect VMs that have already been created.

If you haven't done any significant work on the VM, you could delete it. Or you could simply move it (see above).
Leni

Post by Leni »

Finally I succeeded to install the VM on drive D, by changing the Global setting/General to Drive D. All went straight forward. My guest OS was on DVD and I went forward to install it. But I got a message that no OS was found. When checking, I saw that the CD-drive was indicated "empty". Looking around, I found a CD-symbol on the top right corner of the wizard. Clicking on it I could select "Host drive E". Then the installation of the VM was without problems.
So I could install the Guest Additions and also a shared folder.
In other words all my problems are solved and I would like to thank you for your patience and great help. :D

Kind regards
Leni
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Leni
Congratulations for figuring out the issues youself. You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Marking this as [Solved].