DNS very slow on Win 10 host Win7 guest

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Frikkie

DNS very slow on Win 10 host Win7 guest

Post by Frikkie »

I have been reading all the posts regarding DNS not working or very slow but nothing so far has resolved the issue I have.

I am running Windows 10 host with a Windows 7 64bit guest and the network is set to bridge because all of the other network settings disables the network.

The guest network is manually configured and I can ping the host, default gateway and any IP on the internet.

Even pinging google.com works so the dns resolving works ok in DOS.

nslookup gives me the correct results.

When I try to open google on IE it takes about 1 minute to display the page on the guest but on the host it is almost instantaneous.

I am trying to install programs on the guest that uses dns names to download specific programmes and they fail.

I do not have any VPN software installed on either the host or guest.

netsh winsock reset did not work.

Any other ideas, please?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: DNS very slow on Win 10 host Win7 guest

Post by mpack »

There is no DNS in VirtualBox, that's guest software. I can't think of any VirtualBox problem that could even influence DNS timing much, if networking itself is ok.
Frikkie

Post by Frikkie »

It used to work correctly when the host was Windows 7.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid that doesn't change my previous answer. VirtualBox has no DNS function (to my knowledge), so its performance can't indicate a VirtualBox issue, provided other networking is ok.
Frikkie

Post by Frikkie »

I loaded a Windows 10 VM and another Windows 7 VM with the same results.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Frikkie wrote:the network is set to bridge because all of the other network settings disables the network.
Care to explain that phrase? If you select NAT or NATnetwork instead of Bridged, it doesn't work?
Frikkie wrote:The guest network is manually configured
That's quite a red flag, right there. 1) Why manual, 2) What happens if you switch to DHCP?

To me it looks like a TCP/IP miscofiguration, but I don't have enough evidence. Answer the above questions, switch to DHCP and see if works. If it doesn't, we take it from there, although I'm most certainly with mpack here and I don't think that it's a VirtualBox problem, because everybody and their sister would complain...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Frikkie

Post by Frikkie »

If I select any other network connection except bridge then the network card shows it is disconnected.
The latter 2 VM's namely the Win 10 and Win7 are running DHCP.
As stated above, when the host was running Windows 7 everything worked perfectly.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Frikkie wrote:If I select any other network connection except bridge then the network card shows it is disconnected.
I want to see a VBox.log from a complete VM run like that.
  • Shut down your VM, completely from within the guest.
  • Change your network adapter to use "NAT" in the VM settings, boot the VM and change the NIC's options to DHCP. Shut down the VM.
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state or reboot from within the guest) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
And I would also like to see the output of "ipconfig /all" from both the host and the guest (when you will have made the NAT changes).
Frikkie wrote:when the host was running Windows 7 everything worked perfectly.
Isn't that a red flag? As red and big as it gets? Was this an upgrade or a fresh install? You *do* realize that if this was a widespread problem, and not a configuration problem with your setup, everybody and their uncle would be screaming on the rooftops, right?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Frikkie

Post by Frikkie »

Hi socratis,

I started the VM with NAT and DHCP and it is working now. I have installed my programs and do not need the DNS to be resolved anymore.

Thank you for the assistance.

I still wonder why it doesn't work when the NIC is manually configured.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Frikkie wrote:I still wonder why it doesn't work when the NIC is manually configured.
socratis wrote:To me it looks like a TCP/IP miscofiguration
I don't know what you did (or didn't do) in your configuration, you'll have to check for yourself, since you didn't provide any information at all. The "ipconfig /all" should tell you the differences between manual and automatic configuration...