Where is the status bar in fullscreen ?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
CutterX

Where is the status bar in fullscreen ?

Post by CutterX »

Hi

Is there a way to display the information found on the status bar, in full-screen?

Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Where is the status bar in fullscreen ?

Post by socratis »

What information exactly did you have in mind? What exactly shows in the status bar? I'm on an OSX host so I might be missing something, or something might be different...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CutterX

Post by CutterX »

The blinking activity dots:
https://i.imgur.com/vB55hAf.png

They're shown at the bottom of the window but they don't appear anywhere in fullscreen.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That is outside the window, so when you go to full screen, it is lost.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You should get a system/activity/resource monitor in your guest. They're much better than "blinking lights" ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CutterX

Post by CutterX »

An activity monitor in the guest is:
  • dependant on the OS
  • unavailable before or during OS installation
  • too much of a hassle
The one provided by VirtualBox is convenient, if it could be shown on the mini toolbar optionally, it would be great.
WeirdSystem

Post by WeirdSystem »

Hmmmm ... Yes . That is a good idea !
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, just to get it straight, you want some blinking lights in the mini-toolbar, right? Because that's all what's missing, it's not that there's any additional information in the StatusBar...
WeirdSystem

Post by WeirdSystem »

Well , that's not a demand . It's just an opinion .
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I never talked about a "demand", I talked about "want". Quite a difference, don't you think? ;)
ahasbini

Post by ahasbini »

I came by this thread thinking of how to see the StatusBar in Full Screen mode for a different reason. I'm currently using version 6.1.4.

The reason I want this is to the see host key combination indicator at the far right. It practically tells me whether my keys are captured for the Host or Guest OS, lets me do multitasking efficiently. At the same time I want the full screen mode because in Windows 10 it will hide my taskbar (I don't want to enable hiding my taskbar in Windows 10 settings and I already resized it to the smallest height practically possible). The full screen gives more screen area for the Guest OS but I dont mind having the status bar with it taking a small amount of height.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I always put the task bar on the left, not at the bottom. It makes more sense on wider screens.
Bill
ahasbini

Post by ahasbini »

I have a lot of icons in the taskbar for my apps so the wide area helps having them in one line, in fact they fit perfectly so moving it to the left looks messed up to me and needs more "clicks" to reach my icons cause of the shorter line which is doesn't make sense to me.

So for that I want to have the status bar shown in full screen mode since it'll hide my windows 10 taskbar which make more sense to me since I wouldn't need it when working in my guest OS and then I could figure out easily how to switch between them since I can clearly see the Host Key indicator. Hiding the Host Key indicator in full screen mode makes me confused sometimes when I do think that I have pressed the key combination but then realize that its being captured by the wrong OS.