screen definition

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: screen definition

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

00:08:03.422750 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.22 r115126 '5.1.22'
Depending on the exact version of the guest it probably will not work with those additions. There was a regression lately that they fixed and you should update the version of VirtualBox to the latest test build. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds and install the guest additions that come with that install.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Plus, these are the wrong GAs to begin with...
VirtualBox VM 5.2.2 r119230 win.amd64 (Nov 22 2017 16:22:28) release log
00:08:03.422750 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.22 r115126 '5.1.22'
I told you that you don't need to download anything. If you had read that chapter 4.2 that I linked you to, you would have seen that the Guest Additions (GAs) is included with your VirtualBox.

As Perryg said there was a problem with 3D acceleration and that specific version. But you shouldn't be affected by this, you don't even have 3D acceleration enabled. Your problem is that you have the wrong version of the additions installed.

I urge you to read carefully that chapter again...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Just for clarification, there was a regression that caused an issue with some versions of red hat types of OSes and also an issue with kernel updates that made building the guest additions fail. That is what I was talking about. Both were fixed sometime after 5.1.30 and even into the 5.2.* versions. This would cause a fail whether you have 3D enabled or not and the OP did not describe a black screen issue, just that it remained small. But I could be all wet here so I will leave you and the OP to handle this. Sorry for the intrusion.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Perryg wrote:This would cause a fail whether you have 3D enabled or not
Oh, I didn't realize that, I thought it was all 3D related and as long as the users hadn't enabled 3D, everything was working. Maybe I got it wrong, mea culpa... :shock:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
trazom

Post by trazom »

hi,

here is the log. I think i didn't send you the correct one.
Attachments
CentOS-2017-12-11-13-59-01.zip
(21.48 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
trazom

Post by trazom »

i can't launch the Linux Machine any more.
one idea?

is the log explicit?
Regards