Discuss the 5.2.2 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.

Re: Discuss the 5.2.2 release

Postby michaln » 28. Nov 2017, 14:00

socratis wrote:Please don't generalize, not all Linux guests have issues. All of mine are just fine, thank you. If you have a problem with a specific distro/version, please state which one. Don't just throw an "all of them" out there.

It's especially funny (or sad) with Linux guests where just the ones released within the last 6 months have such vast differences between them that it's not even remotely funny. Without knowing specifics there's nothing to say.
michaln
Oracle Corporation

Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Postby RonSMeyer1 » 28. Nov 2017, 14:11

Ok. Linux Mint 18.2. It is a LM 18.2 guest on a LM 18.2 host.
RonSMeyer1

Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Host: Linux Mint / Guests: Win7 32bit - Linux Mint - Win XP - Win 10 - OS/2 Warp 4 - MS-DOS

Postby ncj » 30. Nov 2017, 23:44

I've noticed some visual defects (see attached screenshot) in 5.2.2, they weren't there in 5.1.26.

I'm not sure if there were previous comments on this, but I can't find a defect report/ticket for it. Is there one?

Tied to the visual defects, I can get the GUI to crash rather reliably with changing the NAT network settings (and one other random crash). If there is a current report, I'll add the detail there, else I'll go ahead and create a new one.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 23.18.30.png.zip
(106.31 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
ncj

Postby mpack » 1. Dec 2017, 10:03

If by "report" you mean a BugTracker ticket, it's better to have a discussion on these forums first, after postng a zipped VM log and full details.
mpack
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Postby socratis » 1. Dec 2017, 12:38

@ncj
ncj wrote:I've noticed some visual defects (see attached screenshot) in 5.2.2, they weren't there in 5.1.26.
I've noticed them too, but I thought it was only my setup so I was waiting for a second report to come in. For me you can (almost) reliably get the toolbar to "disappear" if you open the Settings for any VM, then start using the Tab to move between controls; Cancel, OK, Tollbar, ... gone. If you hover over them with the mouse they reappear one by one, depending on which one you hover over. BTW, host is running 10.11.6:
5.2.x Toolbar disappears.png
5.2.x Toolbar disappears.png (65.45 KiB) Viewed 244 times

ncj wrote:I'm not sure if there were previous comments on this, but I can't find a d efect report/ticket for it. Is there one?
Not that I know of. I'll try to talk with the developers on the IRC to see if they are familiar with that behavior, and if not, I'll create a new ticket. Will let you know. And to tell you the truth it's more of a nuisance rather than a severe bug, that's why I didn't bother until now.

ncj wrote:I can get the GUI to crash rather reliably with changing the NAT network settings (and one other random crash).
Now, that's quite a different story. Do you have a step-by-step way to reproduce this?

Edit: The developers are aware of the cosmetic issue, but it's not their top priority, since it's only a cosmetic issue with a known workaround; switch to another app then back to VirtualBox, or simply hover over the toolbar with the mouse. 
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby ncj » 1. Dec 2017, 14:39

socratis wrote:Now, that's quite a different story. Do you have a step-by-step way to reproduce this?

Yes, but it appears specific to the OS version etc. Based on all the reports so far, the issue varies in location and reproduction. I have more details in my post "Visual defect and GUI crash" (I'll link to it when my membership duration allows).

The visual affect is not a big deal, it just appears to be a precursor to the crash - no visual defect, no crash.
Last edited by socratis on 1. Dec 2017, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
ncj

Postby socratis » 1. Dec 2017, 14:43

@ncj
Since you opened a new thread, let's continue the discussion there, no need to double-post the information.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby michael » 8. Dec 2017, 11:59

I just updated the development series test builds (not yet the 5.2 ones)[1]. The Guest Additions build there should contain an additional fix for the Linux guest hangs with 3D enabled.

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
michael
Oracle Corporation

Previous

Return to Using VirtualBox