[WorksForMe] installing on a fixed size drive.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
nathana

[WorksForMe] installing on a fixed size drive.

Post by nathana »

I'm tying to install vb on a dedicated 120gb drive formatted to ext4, on Linux mint. I set the installation to fixed size. however it gives me an error for any size greater than 63gb.
this is the error:

Code: Select all

Could not create the medium storage unit '/media/nathan/Virtual/Windows10.vdi'.
VDI: disk would overflow creating image '/media/nathan/Virtual/Windows10.vdi' (VERR_DISK_FULL).
VDI: setting image size failed for '/media/nathan/Virtual/Windows10.vdi' (VERR_DISK_FULL).
Any ideas what the problem is? I want to use the entire drive.

Thanks for any help.

N
Last edited by socratis on 6. Nov 2017, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: installing on a fixed size drive.

Post by socratis »

nathana wrote:VERR_DISK_FULL
Do you actually have more than 63 GB available? It doesn't look like you do...

PS. For future reference, "vb" is usually reserved for "Visual Basic". You should either use "VirtualBox" or "VBox" to avoid any confusion... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The mount location suggests removable media, perhaps a USB device that is using compression to hold larger content. A simple df -h and/or fdisk -l should tell you.
nathana

Post by nathana »

Thank you Perryg,
I am new to linux. The drive is install with sata not usb. df -h yields:

Code: Select all

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdd1       110G   60M  105G   1% /media/nathan/Virtual
it appears that there is 105GB available on the drive if i'm reading that correctly. However when I set the disk size in Vbox to 105G fixed size i still get the error. see attached image.
Screenshot from 2017-11-05 12-33-47.png
Screenshot from 2017-11-05 12-33-47.png (43.65 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
I used gparted to format the drive which is brand new. I am at a loss. maybe I need to format the drive with a different method?

Socratis, thanks for the correction. vbox not virtual basic. :shock:

Thanks for the help
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Something else to consider is /media is kind of a restrictive location and you should make sure you have full permission to the location. Typically I use /mnt and chown the location I create for VirtualBox guests. I will say that with the information you have provided I don't understand why VirtualBox see the problem. Something is causing this but without hands on I don't know what to tell you at the moment.
nathana

Post by nathana »

Thanks again Perryg, I didn't just plugged the drive in and found it at media I didn't know I could mount it at /mnt. I don't know how to move it there. anyway after your suggestion to check the permissions on the media. I realized that my drive had user and group set to root. I changed it and was able to install vbox at 104G so i guess that had something to do with it. I'm still trying to sort out linux. I really do appreciate the guidance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

nathana wrote:was able to install vbox at 104G
Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.