Connectivity problems to OracleDB on a VBox guest

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ohaya@yahoo.com

Connectivity problems to OracleDB on a VBox guest

Post by ohaya@yahoo.com »

Hi,

I used VirtualBox for my development environment, which typically consists of several machines:

- VM1 - Oracle Database
- VM2 - WebLogic + Oracle Access Manager

I run VBox on my laptop, a Dell, and I connect via ethernet cable to a wireless router. All guests were using Bridged networking.

Everything was working fine and then last week my original wireless router, a Cisco valet, died, so I got a new TPLINK AC1200.

When I connected my laptop to the TPLINK, I can connect to the internet from the laptop host. Then I started the Oracle DB machine, which started all right and the database was working.

I can ping the Oracle DB machine from the WebLogic/OAM machine, and I could also telnet from the WebLogic machine to port 1521 on the Oracle DB machine (the Oracle DB listens on port 1521).

However, when I started the WebLogic+OAM machine, the WebLogic would fail to start, because it was failing to connect to the Oracle database. The WebLogic startup was logging all kinds of connection errors.

So, I bought a different wireless router, a Linksys EA3500, and when I plugged the laptop into the Linksys, the Oracle DB started ok and also the WebLogic and OAM started up ok (and was able to connect to the Oracle DB).

So that brings up the 1st question: Why was there a problem when the laptop was connected to the TPLINK (but worked with the original Cisco and also with the Linksys)?

Ok, so then, I also tried using both Host only and also tried NAT for the networking and got similar connection problems when trying to start WebLogic.

Why is that?

I having been trying to find out, posting on some networking forums, but so far, I don't have a good explanation, and I am really surprised as I kind of assume that there are a lot of developers who run Oracle DB and maybe WebLogic on VBox.

Thanks,
Jim
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Connectivity problems to OracleDB on a VBox guest

Post by socratis »

ohaya@yahoo.com wrote:I connect via ethernet cable to a wireless router. All guests were using Bridged networking.
Your problem could be explained if you were using wireless. See Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware. But you're not. Or at least so you say. I would love to see the VBox.log for both the VMs, for both the working router and the failing one.
ohaya@yahoo.com wrote:Why is that?
You're thin on the details and I personally can't make out anything from the description alone, there's not enough supporting evidence. As I said, at a minimum the VBox.log for all cases would be required. But it may have to include the router configuration and logs as well...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MPerz
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Debian, Ubuntu

Re: Connectivity problems to OracleDB on a VBox guest

Post by MPerz »

ohaya@yahoo.com wrote: So that brings up the 1st question: Why was there a problem when the laptop was connected to the TPLINK (but worked with the original Cisco and also with the Linksys)?
My first guess would be that one of the applications is configured to expect a database at a static IP while the machine hosting the database is configured to use DHCP handed out by the router.