mouse click does not work with 2 virtual screens

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Re: mouse click does not work with 2 virtual screens

Post by michael »

Does this happen with VirtualBox 5.2.2 and the 5.2.2 Guest Additions installed?
relentless-reign

Post by relentless-reign »

I have just updated to Virtualbox 5.2.2 and installed the guest additions for 5.2.2. This does NOT fix the problem.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

this article may be of interest
Ubuntu 17.10: return of the GNOME
relentless-reign

ChipMcK wrote:this article may be of interest
Ubuntu 17.10: return of the GNOME
How does this help fix this problem? I'm seeing an article about how its being overhauled but, sadly, that doesn't change much about the current state of things.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

relentless-reign wrote:How does this help fix this problem?
It doesn't. But it does note that Ubuntu is going through some growing pains. If you read again the thread from the beginning (you did read it, right?) you'll re-discover that this is a problem with Ubuntu 17.10 on both the host and the guest. So, the article doesn't actually fix your problem, but it tells you that if you want the latest and greatest, something might hit the fan...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
relentless-reign

If you read again the thread from the beginning (you did read it, right?)
Snarky, but yes I did read the thread.

I wouldn't have figured out that mouse integration being disabled helps alleviate the problem if i hadn't read the thread.

As for why I questioned the helpfulness of the link it was because the link posted took me to a site describing the overhaul of Ubuntu which is great, but because it seemed like others were looking for a solution I was curious if there was something on the arstechnica post that I was missing. If there was some solution on a linked out site I would have gladly transcribed the fix here.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Do you have a file called ~/.config/monitors.xml on the guest? Does removing it help?

I have an idea about what is going wrong, and I am currently updating the wiki page on mouse input[1] to better explain. Basically I suspect that GNOME Shell has decided to lay out the virtual monitors differently to the way the VirtualBox input device sees them.

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/MouseInput
relentless-reign

Do you have a file called ~/.config/monitors.xml on the guest? Does removing it help?
I do, I mean I did... I deleted it. This does seem to have fixed the problem. I am able to have mouse integration on, and 2 monitors(virtual screens) defined. The mouse issue does not seem to be present.

I will keep messing with my vm, and report back if I find that something resurfaces.

Thank you @micheal and the rest of you for contributing to this thread.

:D
relentless-reign

It looks like this issue popped up again. This time the trick of deleting the monitors.xml file no longer works. I am also now running the latest version of Ubuntu and have applied the most recent updates.

I have also updated to the most recent virtual box, but the installation of the guest additions is failing because it can't remove the old version.

Any hints on where to go from here? Google searches aren't really coming up with much.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Did you tell it to try forcing removal of the old ones?
relentless-reign

I have tried uninstalling numerous ways, but no matter what I do to get the guest additions up to date I get the same error:

Code: Select all

/usr/sbin/vbox-uninstall-guest-additions: /opt/VBoxGuestAdditions-5.2.6/uninstall.sh: not found
I tried installing the 5.2.6 additions again, thinking it will put that file in place and then I can uninstall it but that didn't work.

I don't know all of what/where guest additions makes changes. I could uninstall it manually i suppose, but even googling I haven't been able to find something that has concrete references to the files that need to be removed.

If any of you have a uninstall.sh file from 5.2.6 for linux I'd love to have it, so could run it and hopefully make more progress on this.

Thanks!
nikhil123

Post by nikhil123 »

Full Description of Problem:
I have installed Windows 10 for my Mac book pro with the help of a virtual box and connecting to two virtual screens. Mouse when being used is responding weirdly, however, they are offset. With 2 monitor setup, the mouse clicks are less offset. When I click on the first screen it reflects the second screen and wise versa. The mouse pointing is completely in different directions.

looking for help and thanks in advance