Guest unusable slow after deleting snapshots

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
lsimma

Guest unusable slow after deleting snapshots

Post by lsimma »

Hello

I deleted three snapshots. After the merge the windows guest is now unusable slow.
Startuptime before was 30sec. Startuptime after delete is longer then 5min till login screen.

Is there an issues with deleting snapshots?

My Config:
Host
MAC OSx High Sierra
Virtualbox 5.1.30 (Same Problem was with 5.1.28)
Windows 10
Storage Format .vdi
Two .vdi files
One for Bootdisk (= C: in Guest) 80GB
One for Datadisk (= D: in Guest) 2GB

Thanks Lukas
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest unusable slow after deleting snapshots

Post by mpack »

Deleting snapshots cannot cause a guest to slow down, so best look elsewhere.

Best guess: deleting snapshots also deleted a bunch of updates, which your Windows guest is now downloading again. Also possible: a bunch of hardware config changes were deleted, now your network is ridden with errors.

A final possibility occurs: the base VDI may be on a slower drive than the snapshots were, but that is niche and should have been easy to spot.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest unusable slow after deleting snapshots

Post by socratis »

I couldn't agree more with mpack. And since I use extensively the snapshot feature (each of my VMs has at least one), I can tell you that deleting a snapshot does *not* make a guest slower. On the contrary, it should make your guest faster, because VirtualBox doesn't have to read from multiple snapshot files to figure out the "current state" of affairs...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.