Releasing VM for commercial use

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mandar2601

Releasing VM for commercial use

Post by mandar2601 »

I have installed Ubuntu in Virtual box and installed my web application based on apache-mysql-php.
Can I export VM in OVA format and distribute it commercially? Or is there any obligation for that?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Releasing VM for commercial use

Post by socratis »

IANAL, but I don't remember any rules being imposed over your own virtual machines and what you do with them. But, as I said IANAL.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ApothLab

Post by ApothLab »

mandar2601 wrote:I have installed Ubuntu in Virtual box and installed my web application based on apache-mysql-php.
Can I export VM in OVA format and distribute it commercially? Or is there any obligation for that?
Seems pretty on the edge here of your "VM rights", I suppose there's no restriction so why not!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I should mention that the license has changed with the release of VirtualBox 5.1.30 and 5.2.0, regarding the Extension Pack. See "PUEL no longer allowing commercial use with VB extension pack 5.1.30". So, if your OVA is using any features that depend on the Ext. Pack, I would talk to a software layer...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Oracle does not own your VMs. VM configuration etc. is your own data. That of course does not say anything about who might or might not own the VM content.

The Extension Pack licensing is also unrelated because it only applies to the Extension Pack itself, not to imported/exported/running VMs.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hmm... So, if I start "selling" a VM that requires the existence of the ExtPack, wouldn't the ExtPack be used for non-personal, but for commercial purposes, at least indirectly? That's how I understand it. But, I'm just a poor Chem. Engineer, not a lawyer ;)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'd have thought that as long as you don't copy any VirtualBox software, you can't be in copyright violation.