Connect Computer running VirtualBox to Internal Network

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
J22PF

Connect Computer running VirtualBox to Internal Network

Post by J22PF »

Hi, I'm trying to connect my computer running virtual box to an internal network used by VM's created using virtual box.

Using the vboxmanage command I have created an internal network, using this internal network I can get 2 virtual machines to communicate with each other however I can't figure out how to get the computer running virtual box to the internal network to communicate with the virtual machines, anyone know how i can solve this? Thanks :)
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Connect Computer running VirtualBox to Internal Network

Post by BillG »

An internal network is used by virtual machines only. It is not possible to connect a physical machine to that network, except by setting up a vm with an interface in each network to act as a router between the internal network and a physical network.

You can communicate between a vm and a physical machine using a host only network. Or you can use bridged networking so that the vms are in the same network as the host.

To avoid confusion, the physical machine running VirtualBox is referred to as the host and the vms are referred to as guests.
Bill
J22PF

Post by J22PF »

EDIT: Just found it the second I posted this, was looking in the wrong area, thanks :lol:

Ah thank you, i've been trying to create a host only network but can't seem to find a way of creating a host only adapter, and none are included by default, there also isn't a button in virtualbox to create one as I have seen on other tutorials on how to do it, is there a simple command line way of creating one?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

J22PF wrote:i've been trying to create a host only network but can't seem to find a way of creating a host only adapter
Try this: VirtualBox Preferences » Network » Host-only Networks
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.