Discuss the 5.1.28 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
David H

Re: Discuss the 5.1.28 release

Post by David H »

naji wrote:Win 10 64 bit

I had problems with explorer.exe on shutdown.

Also Internet Explorer and Excel 2016 crashes.

After uninstalling VBoxGuestAdditions_5.1.28 and reinstalling VBoxGuestAdditions_5.1.26 everything works fine.
I experience similar problems with my Win 10 Guest on Ubuntu 16.4 Host.

A related issue I find is that I am no longer able to supply credentials when logging into a web site with Internet Explorer. Same problem with ietab in Chrome, ieHelper.exe crashes.

Reverting back to 5.1.26 Guest Additions solves those problems for now but is not optimal.
Dinsdale_Pirahna

Post by Dinsdale_Pirahna »

CarlosCastaneda wrote:
I turned off 3D and 2D acceleration (according to link by socratis above in the thread) and all works fine again, even with 5.1.28 :D
I turned of 3D only and all is working as normal in VBox 5.1.28 Win10x64 PRO 1703 :lol:
The_3_Laws

Post by The_3_Laws »

I just installed the latest update, 5.1.28 on a Win 7, 64 bit host. There are a couple of issues I wanted to bring to the community's attention. When I run a virtual machine (Win 7 32 bit) it interferes with my wireless mouse dongle driver, making the mouse inactive (on the host and virtual). I tested this several times.

Also, the task bar icons are blank.

These are new issues; I was running 5.04 previously without issue.

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The_3_Laws wrote:I just installed the latest update, 5.1.28 on a Win 7, 64 bit host. There are a couple of issues I wanted to bring to the community's attention. When I run a virtual machine (Win 7 32 bit) it interferes with my wireless mouse dongle driver, making the mouse inactive (on the host and virtual). I tested this several times.
Always user error AFAIK. And not version specific. It comes from creating a USB filter that can match your mouse (or keyboard, or ...).
The_3_Laws

Post by The_3_Laws »

mpack wrote:Always user error AFAIK. And not version specific. It comes from creating a USB filter that can match your mouse (or keyboard, or ...).
Running the virtual interferes with the operation of the mouse on the host as well as the virtual. I've been using VB for years and never seen it do anything like this before.
AndreaL

Post by AndreaL »

I have lots of issues with the graphic driver, I have open a ticket here: /viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84875
jimmypham9461

Post by jimmypham9461 »

This version is better than the previous one. With some fix , I believe that it will be better.
However, i have problem with ubuntu vps. I dont know, I can't install it on my vps , using ubuntu os.
BrianG61UK
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows, DOS, Linux

Post by BrianG61UK »

I use a Windows 7 64 bit host to run VirtualBox 5.1.28.
I'm running 32 bit Windows 7 in a VM.
I noticed this evening that Network "Bridged Adapter" isn't working right, I can't download anything from inside the VM though ping seems to work fine.
Possibly it's since installing the WIndows updates today.
I've changed to "NAT" for now.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@BrianG61UK
You've been around long enough to know that with just a "it doesn't work" we can't help you. First of all, are you using Bridged over WiFi or Ethernet? You mention something about Windows Updates. Did you try to re-install VirtualBox to re-establish the bridged filter for your network card?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BrianG61UK

Post by BrianG61UK »

Over Ethernet.
Uninstalled VB rebooted and reinstalled VB. No help.
Yes sorry, not really expecting much help at this stage, it's more of a report to see in anyone else sees the same problem.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, this was working fine with 5.1.26 and it broke with 5.1.28? What if you downgrade, does it work then?
BrianG61UK wrote:not really expecting much help at this stage
Why the pessimism? Have you been denied help (given the proper diagnostics and logs) in the past?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BrianG61UK

Post by BrianG61UK »

socratis wrote:Why the pessimism? Have you been denied help (given the proper diagnostics and logs) in the past?
Definitely not. Just don't have time to investigate right now.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Cool, I understand completely. You didn't at least tell me whether this is a regression from 5.1.26 (or earlier)...
Selin

Post by Selin »

Not sure whether this problem related to 5.1.28 or to web-UI (phpVirtualBox)...
I've met with the following problem:
- create a VM
- open VM settings and add additional HDD to the existing controller
- leave SSD and Hot-Pluggable flags unchecked
- click Ok
- get an error:

Code: Select all

Validation constraint violation: empty value provided where a value is required in element 'nonRotational'
[log 01 attached]

After this I have a new virtual HDD which is absent in the VM settings, but displayed in the Virtual Media Manager as attached to the VM I've created.
The appropriate HDD file created.

Now I cannot neither release nor remove this HDD - nothing.
I cannot create the new HDD with the same name as well:

The hard disk storage unit at location /home/VBox/VirtualBox VMs/111/1112.vdi already exists. You cannot create a new virtual hard disk that uses this location because it can be already used by another virtual hard disk.
Please specify a different location.
If I delete the HDD file and try to add new HDD with the same name - I get the following error:

Cannot register the hard disk '/home/VBox/VirtualBox VMs/111/1112.vdi' {5b6932f9-9d95-4a02-ac96-c24d6cedbe1b} because a hard disk '/home/VBox/VirtualBox VMs/111/1112.vdi' with UUID {da44c322-a88f-4205-a371-8037121101f7} already exists
[log 02 is attached]

But the HDD file created successfully.

I've tried to delete the VM - disk still exists in the media manager.

The command line sais the following:

#  vboxmanage list hdds
...<skipped>...
UUID:           da44c322-a88f-4205-a371-8037121101f7
Parent UUID:    base
State:          inaccessible
Type:           normal (base)
Storage format: VDI
Capacity:       2048 MBytes
Encryption:     disabled

# VBoxManage closemedium disk da44c322-a88f-4205-a371-8037121101f7
VBoxManage: error: Medium '/home/VBox/VirtualBox VMs/111/1112.vdi' cannot be closed because it is still attached to 1 virtual machines
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_IN_USE (0x80bb000c), component MediumWrap, interface IMedium, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "Close()" at line 1612 of file VBoxManageDisk.cpp
Is there any way to detach the such HDD from non-existing virtual machine or force removing such HDD?
Attachments
vbox_error_02.log
(5.61 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
vbox_error_01.log
(93.33 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
BrianG61UK

Post by BrianG61UK »

BrianG61UK wrote:I use a Windows 7 64 bit host to run VirtualBox 5.1.28.
I'm running 32 bit Windows 7 in a VM.
I noticed this evening that Network "Bridged Adapter" isn't working right, I can't download anything from inside the VM though ping seems to work fine.
Possibly it's since installing the WIndows updates today.
I've changed to "NAT" for now.
I've fixed it by updating the driver for the network card on the host PC.
I must have previously updated it to a buggy version.