VirtualBox will not start

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
JoeWebber

VirtualBox will not start

Post by JoeWebber »

I have just tried installing VirtualBox 4.3.26-98988 on my Windows XP system and I got the message:
"The software you are installing has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP"
When I installed anyway and tried to run it I got the message:
"WinVerifyTrust failed on stub executable: WinVerifyTrust failed with hrc=CERT_E_CHAINING on “Device\Harddisk\Volume5\Utilities\SystemPrograms\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe” (rc=22919)
Please try reinstalling VirtualBox." I also got this message when I installed it in the default Program Files folder.
I downloaded and installed all the root certificates from VeriSign Public Primary Certification Authority, but to no avail.
I thought this was going to be an easy installation.
Any help would be much appreciated.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox will not start

Post by mpack »

That is an MSI error, not a VirtualBox error. The devs are probably not going to change or even check the certification in an old and out of support installer executable, so I don't see what you expect will happen.

Perhaps you should try to install a more recent version. XP is no longer a supported host (it is after all 15 years old), but VirtualBox may still work - unofficially. If you have certificates database problems on your host then you'd have to take care of that yourself.
JoeWebber

Post by JoeWebber »

Many thanks for your reply.
After a bit more research the answer was simple.
Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Signing > Ignore.
The installation message went away and after installation VirtualBox started.
rudyrosa1023

Post by rudyrosa1023 »

Disabled Veteran having installation problems , media file error keeps coming up. states that media file keeps starting ahead of time. can anyone please help
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@rudyrosa1023
Please start your own topic and describe in full detail what you're trying to do and what the error message is, exactly. Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Reno Drums

Post by Reno Drums »

I installed various version from 4.xxx to 5.xxx on Win XP Professional, ignoring Device Signing as recommended in the post of JoeWebber, but start fails with error as written in his post from 13. Sep 2017, 00:57.

The error message contains a note related to hardware architecture. The XP system is installed on Lenovo T430 with SATA HDD operating in compatibility mode.

Any idea? Help would be much appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Reno Drums wrote:Any idea? Help would be much appreciated.
Not with the info given.

You do not say "an error", you give the exact error message. Can you try again?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Reno Drums

Post by Reno Drums »

see attachment
Reno Drums

Post by Reno Drums »

I uploaded an attachment, but can't see it. Don't know, why?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Most probably because you didn't actually upload the attachment, or the attachment was rejected. There's a "Preview" button, just so that these mistakes are avoided and you get to correct them before actually hitting the "Submit" button...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Reno Drums wrote:I uploaded an attachment, but can't see it. Don't know, why?
It was either too big or didn't have an allowed extension. Zip the file and those problems don't happen.
Reno Drums

Post by Reno Drums »

I used Review after upload had been ended (observed in the bottom line of the browser), but nothing happened or seemed to be frozen.

Ok, have seen error message about file size ...

A new try now with a zipped jpg file ...

Code: Select all

VirtualBox - Error In VirtualBox
WinVerifyTrust failed on stub executable: WinVerifyTrust failed with hrc=CERT_E_CHAINING on
"\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Programme\Oracle\VirtualBox\VirtualBox.exe"
(rc=-22919)

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.

Details
where: VirtualBox
what: 1
VERR_LDRVI_UNSUPPORTED_ARCH(-22919) - Unsupported image target architecture.
Last edited by mpack on 8. Sep 2019, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Delete 260K jpeg.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

What version of VirtualBox was this? Because if it was v6 (as IMHO implied by the UNSUPPORTED_ARCH error) then it doesn't support 32bit hosts.

Incidentally, there was no need to struggle with such a terrible quality picture. You click the "Details" tab on the dialog and you should find a "Copy" option to copy the error text to the clipboard. I have replaced your picture with text of the error.
Reno Drums

Post by Reno Drums »

Thanks for replacement! (found no Copy option, but I found a hint how to do this - will try it next time...)

VB version is 4.0.36 - 104075
Last edited by socratis on 8. Sep 2019, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Reno Drums wrote:VB version is 4.0.36 - 104075
That's from 2015-11-11. For a software that gets an update every ~45 days, don't you think that's a little bit old? It's definitely unsupported...