using virtualbox

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
notam

using virtualbox

Post by notam »

Hello

We are using virtualbox here at work. I was wondering about the licenses.

Do i need a license or not? Tried to understand, but still not full information.

Some people are already using it allready(more then 2).

Marek
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: using virtualbox

Post by mpack »

You already have a VirtualBox license: VirtualBox is GPL, so normal GPL rules apply.

The Extension Pack is closed source and covered by a separate license: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL. Read that for a definitive description, but basically speaking if it's for personal use (which can include personal use on a business PC), then you don't need a paid license. If you aren't copying your VMs to anyone else then it's personal use. The main thing a paid license buys is a right to support (this website is not support, this is a discussion forum, the participants are users and occasional devs, not Oracle support reps. Nobody is obligated to help you).
notam

Post by notam »

Thanks for the info!

One clarification more:
So, if we are using GPL version for let’s say business server somewhere(a proxy for now), then we are OK to do it?

Marek
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You first need to be aware that this is a user discussion forum. No one here has the authority to give definitive legal answers regarding VirtualBox licensing. For that you would need to contact Oracle. So everything said here is an unofficial non legal opinion.

As mentioned, there is no "GPL version". VirtualBox is a GPLv2 app, no other versions exist. The extension pack is covered by the PUEL license I linked above.