Mobile Broadband Connection does not appear as an option of the bridged network

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Adela

Mobile Broadband Connection does not appear as an option of the bridged network

Post by Adela »

I am using the VirtualBox version 5.1 installed in a Windows 7 operating system. I use the Dell build-in mobile broadband connection adapter to access the Internet.
I would like to use the bridged network to access the Internet from the virtual machine, but not the NAT-based configuration. When I select the bridged network in the Oracle VM VirtualBox manager, I can select only Intel Ethernet Connection (which is not active and cannot provide any IP connectivity to the gust OS), but I don’t see the mobile broadband connection in the Virutal Box manager and thus the gust OS (in my case Ubuntu) does not get IP connection.
Is there any possibility or solution to configure the VirtualBox Manager to use mobile broadband connection for the bridged network?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Mobile Broadband Connection does not appear as an option of the bridged network

Post by scottgus1 »

Keep in mind that inside the guest you will only see a wired Ethernet adapter. Virtualbox does not emulate Wi-Fi adapters, only wired ones. The Virtualbox network is "wired" inside your PC until it reaches the ethernet card the network wants to connect to.

If you understand the above and you are having trouble picking the Wi-Fi connection on your host PC as the device to Bridge your guest to in the guest's Virtualbox settings window, open the Control Panel, then Network and Sharing Center. On the left click "Change Adapter Settings". Right-click the adapter you wish to Bridge to and choose Properties. In the middle of the Properties popup is the box "This connection uses the following items". These are the "bindings" that connect services to the network adapter.

If the binding called "Virtualbox NDIS# Bridged Networking Driver" is unchecked, check it and click OK. Bridging should now work.

Note that if you are trying to Bridge to a Wi-Fi adapter, you may not get a connection even if the "binding" is checked and the Wi-Fi card appears under "Name".

Bridged doesn't always work with Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi wasn't designed to have multiple PCs (the host and each Bridged guest) communicating through the one wireless network connection, and some host Wi-Fi adapters or Wi-Fi access points choke on it. Sometimes updating the Wi-Fi adapter card driver on your host works. Some folks can Wi-Fi & Bridge at home but not at work or the coffee shop, or vice versa. If it works, good. If it doesn't, then you won't be able to Bridge with Wi-Fi on your particular host or in the location you're at.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Mobile Broadband Connection does not appear as an option of the bridged network

Post by mpack »

I assume that your "mobile broadband connection adapter" is actually a SIM based USB dongle. In which case it's actually a modem, not a NIC, and no: at present you can't bridge to it. NAT is your only practical option.
Adela

Post by Adela »

Thank you very much for your Support!

For your Information, the mobile broadband Connection adapter is based on a Dell Wireless 5809e Gobi(TM) 4G LTE Mobile Broadband Card, which is built-in module inside the Laptop rather than a WiFi module or an LTE USB dongle. Furthermore, I would like to use the bridged network setting based on the LTE connection, as I cannot use the NAT due to Network restriction.

Unfortunately, the properties of the adapter setting do not include the list of "bindings" as it supported for USB-based dongle Adapter or other Modem-based Adapter. Therefore, I do not see the VirtuallBox binding.

Although I tried all the possible settings and updated the related device Adapter I could not manage to connect to the Network.
The only practical way is to use the mobile phone as hotspot or tethering via USB.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

So Mpack's comments apply. You can't Bridge to that device.

What are you trying to do that makes you want Bridged so much?

BTW, the go-to solution when you can't Bridge is to use two networks in the guest, one set to NAT for the guest to get Internet, and the other set to Host-Only, for communication between guest and host.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Adela wrote: For your Information, the mobile broadband Connection adapter is based on a Dell Wireless 5809e Gobi(TM) 4G LTE Mobile Broadband Card, which is built-in module inside the Laptop rather than a WiFi module or an LTE USB dongle.
Ok. So it's internal, rather than a dongle, but it's a USB modem and not a NIC, hence same answer as last time.

Bridging works when VirtualBox interposes a filter driver into the lower reaches of the driver stack associated with a NIC. Being so low level the driver is specifically designed to be part of a NIC stack and is nothing like the low level drivers used by your modem. So I'm afraid that what you want simply isn't possible, and probably won't become possible any time soon.

If I were you I would reexamine whether NAT can be made to work for you. NAT provides a high level internet connection and therefore nearly always works, provided of course that the host has an internet connection.