Disable Settings / Configuration change

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
utikawa

Disable Settings / Configuration change

Post by utikawa »

Hi!

I have the following scenario:

I have a VM with source code of my proprietary software.
I want to share that VM to another developer so he can help me to develop the software but I do not authorize he copy my source code.
I can encrypt the disk but when the VM is running he would be able to copy the source code to a USB device, for example.
I can change the settings to disable USB at all but if settings is not disabled or encrypted, the developer could change it easilly.

I was looking for a way to avoid unauthorized users to change or read VM settings. Virtualbox has this feature?

Thanks in advance!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Disable Settings / Configuration change

Post by scottgus1 »

Negative, Virtualbox is completely open to the user and there is no way to lock it down. If you need a person to use the guest but you don't want him/her to access settings available on the host, you need to run the guest on your own host, not theirs, and let the person remote into the guest via in-the-guest remote software or the Virtualbox RDP server. If you also don't want the person to be able to send files from the guest out onto the internet, then have no network in the guest and only use Virtualbox RDP server.
utikawa

Post by utikawa »

Thanks for fast reply! :)

Unfortunatelly that was not my favourite one... :(

Could it be implemented in the future? How can I suggest it as a feature?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you can think of an appropriate mechanism where user A has specific access to specific portions of a computer, please, spell out the details of the plan. I can't thing of anything that would work...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.