How to setup 15 isolated VM network?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
kokotr

How to setup 15 isolated VM network?

Post by kokotr »

Hello there.

I want to exam my students about our lessons, therefore I prepared 15 virtual machine on single computer with VirtualBox. I'll make my exam with three student at the same time, each student will has her/his own VM. Let say we have three student s1, s2, s3 with virtual machines vm1, vm2, vm3 respectively. My students will be connect to network that have my server (which have 15 vm running in), they should be able to connect internet and only virtual machine her/his responsible of. I don't want to them access to each others virtual machines. So how can I arcieve this?

Best regards...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to setup 15 isolated VM network?

Post by socratis »

kokotr wrote:they should be able to connect internet
Don't they already have a connection to the internet from their own computers? Do you need to access the internet from within the VM?
kokotr wrote:My students will be connect to network that have my server
How will they connect to that network. Is the machine going to be running and they are going to connect via RDP? Are they going to be seeing the server as a network resource and run VirtualBox locally on their own computers, while using a VM that is located on the server?

Why don't you give each student their own VM to run it locally on their computers?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kokotr

Post by kokotr »

socratis wrote:Don't they already have a connection to the internet from their own computers? Do you need to access the internet from within the VM?
They do not. They will connect to our network so they can connect to internet. VM's does not need to connect to internet. Students connect to our network, so they can access to internet. Also, they will access to VM. But we want to restrict student for only connect to VM that his/her responsible of.
socratis wrote:Why don't you give each student their own VM to run it locally on their computers?
Because management want all virtual machines on our server.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

kokotr wrote:But we want to restrict student for only connect to VM that his/her responsible of.
You have to implement some user control/UserDirectory then. If you have everything in a common area, then everyone could have access to everything. If you have a UserDirectory, or a HomeDirectory, then place a VM in their home directory.

As for the VM, do not enable any network at all. You don't need networking inside the VM, do you?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kokotr

Post by kokotr »

socratis wrote:You have to implement some user control/UserDirectory then. If you have everything in a common area, then everyone could have access to everything. If you have a UserDirectory, or a HomeDirectory, then place a VM in their home directory.

As for the VM, do not enable any network at all. You don't need networking inside the VM, do you?
They don't connect to our server. How they could be able to access to all files? They only connect to virtual machines with ip adressess. I can't understand, if I disable networking on virtual machines, how students access to virtual machines? These machines running apache server in it so we need some ip addresses...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You need to draw a picture or start explaining better what your setup is. Actually, draw a picture AND start explaining. I can't figure out what in the seven kingdoms you're talking about. So, draw three students, a server, a VM per student and how you would see them / would like to see them connected. And then add a lot of explanations about the picture you draw.

Because I have no clue what you're trying to do here...