Appliance x VM Zipped folder

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
massula
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly, Windows XP machines

Appliance x VM Zipped folder

Post by massula »

Just a curiosity.

From some time, I was using the "Export Appliance" method to store unused VMs.

I know the main reason to create an appliance is related to interoperability, but think this would be the better way to follow, since it is a native resource.

But from time to time, I stumbled on some minor quirks, and reconsidered my choice.

So, nowadays, I only zip the VM folder and its done.

How do You store your old/unused/backup VMs?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Appliance x VM Zipped folder

Post by scottgus1 »

The best backup or archive is a simple folder-copy of the guest folder after the guest is shut down. Folder-copy allows file-comparing to confirm the copy. See this tutorial Moving a VM and re-interpret it as "Backing Up a VM". Zipping is optional, but double-checking the copy is harder, unless you have an app for that....
massula
Primary OS: Other
Guest OSses: Mostly, Windows XP machines

Post by massula »

Thanks, scottgus1.

I've normally zip the folder for storing and distribution reasons, but an unzipped folder is really better to do this.

My problems with appliances are basically with the newly imported virtual hard disk, that come as an .vmdk file. Everytime I need to dabble with some configurations (like expand the size of virtual hard disk), I need to convert it first to .vdi, and this is a pain.

Other reason is some not so technical users are confused by the vm importing process.

After distribut some VMs, I noticed the easiest way to get them running is give a zipped folder, ask the person to unzip and click on the vbox file. :D
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Assuming they don't try to bring in the VM's more than once on the same host, distributing the folder/zip and double-clicking the .vbox is perfect to bring in the guest.

Appliance Importing can be used if you want more than one of the same guest on one host, but reactivation may be caused on Windows guests.