change the Keyboard mode

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
scriline

change the Keyboard mode

Post by scriline »

Hi !
I'm french and I'm a new user of Virtual box, the thing is that in France, we currently use an azerty keyboard, while in virtual box, the keyboard is changed to a qwerty one...
So my question is how to change it ? I just want to use an azery keyboard instead of a qwerty...

Thanks for your answers ! :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: change the Keyboard mode

Post by socratis »

scriline wrote:I just want to use an azery keyboard instead of a qwerty...
This is something that you would change in your guest. VirtualBox has nothing to do with the keyboard layout, it doesn't even know what the layout is. It's up to your guest to interpret correctly the keyboard layout, not VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scriline

Post by scriline »

So where do I change it ?
I mean, when I'm using firefox or any other app for example, everything is allright, so it shows the problem is in Virtual box no ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You need to go to your guest preferences. That's where you should change it. Again, VirtualBox has no clue of your keyboard layout. You're looking in the wrong place...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

A keyboard is a keyboard. The stamps on the keys are just what the manufacturer chose to put there. The operating system interprets the codes generated by the key presses to translate to desired characters.

So when you press the key in the fourth row up, second key in from the left, it will be a particular character, depending on the lookup code page the operating system is set to use. In English, the fourth row up, second key in will be Q (if Shift is held down) or if the French key code layout is programmed, an A will appear. You will still get the A if you have set your OS to French, even if you have plugged in a QWERTY keyboard. You could stamp pIqaD Klingon on the keys, and it will still come out Q or A, depending on how the guest OS is set to interpret the fourth row up, second key in.
MadJeanne

Post by MadJeanne »

Hi!
I had the same problem, and it is indeed in the virtualbox that it can be fixed.
You need to go in the main menu (green button at the lower far left), then select the "settings" button (looks like 2 grey ON/OFF switch buttons) then the "preference" button (looks like the previous one, but one of the switch button is green) and then the "keyboard" button (a key with symbols on it).
Then select the last tab "layout", then press "add", find "French (Azerty)" and select that or even remove the English one to be sure it doesn't revert.

I hope that works as well for you!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

MadJeanne wrote:it is indeed in the virtualbox that it can be fixed.
You need to go in the main menu (green button at the lower far left)
Virtualbox doesn't have a green main menu button at the lower left, so I suspect that you refer to the operating system installed inside Virtualbox, which fits what Socratis posted here above: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83946&p=504008#p398208 (where "guest" is referring to the VM's OS).