Corrupt VDI

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Derick

Corrupt VDI

Post by Derick »

Hello,

Can you please help me restore a corrupt VDI? There error message I get when attempting to open it is:
Could not open the medium 'E:\VMs\Lubuntu\Lubuntu.vdi'.
VDI: invalid header in 'E:\VMs\Lubuntu\Lubuntu.vdi' (VERR_VD_VDI_INVALID_HEADER).
VD: error VERR_VD_VDI_INVALID_HEADER opening image file 'E:\VMs\Lubuntu\Lubuntu.vdi' (VERR_VD_VDI_INVALID_HEADER).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MediumWrap
Interface:
IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
I have attached the first 100 KB of the VDI file. I have an older copy I can refer / revert to if necessary. The size of the VDI file is 333,587,677,184 bytes.

Thank you,
Derick
Attachments
Lubuntu.vdi.zip
(521 Bytes) Downloaded 18 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Corrupt VDI

Post by mpack »

100K? I don't know where you got that number from, it's not nearly enough. The number mentioned in other threads was 2MB+1K, which is 2049K.

In any case there's no need to post about this any more: the latest (3.00) release of CloneVDI automates the repair procedure (it will create a repaired clone).

Do read the release notes for the tool, particularly the section on repairing, and by all means let me know how it went.
terminux

Invalid Header

Post by terminux »

Hi mpack,
thanks in advance for your great support. My virtual Linux crashed after a hardware problem and now, the header is not fine. I add the first 2M of my vdi (binary zip). The physical size of my damaged image is 50779389952 (48G) but i dont know the virtual size. I hope, you can help me!
Best regards
Gerald
Last edited by terminux on 2. Aug 2017, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Did you read the middle sentence of my post above?
terminux

Post by terminux »

mpack wrote:Did you read the middle sentence of my post above?
I thought, it must be install in Windows, I have Linux only. But it seems to run with wine, the repair is running. We will see, thank you!

Update:
Ok, CloneVDI was working very well with wine and it was able to fix the header. You made my day because I invested a lot of time in this virtual machine. Thank u Don, for this very usefull tool! One thing is missing: A donate button, i like to donate u beer or something like this :)

Gerald
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You're welcome, however I don't want an income from CloneVDI, as that plus the time I donate here is my way of giving back to the VirtualBox project.

p.s. Thanks also for confirming that CloneVDI v3 still works well under Wine, as that is always the intention though I don't test it.
terminux

Post by terminux »

mpack wrote:p.s. Thanks also for confirming that CloneVDI v3 still works well under Wine, as that is always the intention though I don't test it.
Now, I read your readme file in ClodeVDI :). Long, but good. I used Arch Linux 64bit and wine 2.13

Best wishes
Gerald